Beer Brats and Cheese Chowder
This thick and creamy Beer Brats and Cheese Chowder is loaded with flavor and topped with soft pretzel bites, perfect for a cold winter night!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 6 Servings
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 skinless beer bratwursts
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (chopped - one medium onion)
- 1 large russet potato (cut into 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 Tablespoon dry ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (crushed)
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 ounce bottle German Beer (I used Becks)
- 15 ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes (drained)
- 1/2 cup whole milk or cream
- 1/2 cup Fage Greek Yogurt (full-fat version)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Swiss cheese (shredded)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Melt the butter in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the brats and cook until no longer pink, breaking them apart into large chunks.
Add the onion, potatoes, ground mustard, and caraway seeds, stir to combine. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the flour. Stir and cook for two minutes.
Add the chicken stock, beer, tomatoes, milk, and yogurt. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to LOW and stir in the cheese.
Serve immediately with Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites, regular pretzels or crackers.
- I used unsweetened CashewMilk and white sharp cheddar instead of the Swiss to keep my soup lactose-free.
- I used Beer Brats, but any flavor will work.
- Make sure to cut your potatoes into small, bite-sized, 1/2-inch cubes so they cook evenly.
- If you do not want to make soft pretzels from scratch, check your freezer section for pre-made soft pretzels.
- I used fire-roasted, diced tomatoes because they are my favorite and add a lot of flavor but any diced tomatoes will work.
- For an even creamier soup, substitute Half & Half for the milk and yogurt.
Calories: 313kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 47mg | Sodium: 326mg | Potassium: 417mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 15.1% | Vitamin C: 7% | Calcium: 29% | Iron: 8.1%