Toxic Waste Mac and Cheese
This Toxic Waste Mac and Cheese is disgustingly delicious and actually quite healthy. It's perfect for Halloween and the kids won't mind eating it!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (or Half & Half - I used Unsweetened CashewMilk)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1/16 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more if desired)
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 package frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
- green food coloring
- 1 pound dry pasta (cooked and drained - I used medium shells)
- 1 head fresh cauliflower (cut and steamed**)
Melt butter in a large pan/Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
Add the flour and whisk to combine. Simmer, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
Pour in the milk and whisk to combine and remove all lumps.
Add the salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and mustard, stir to combine.
Continue cooking until mixture starts to simmer, 6 to 8 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the grated cheese. Stir until melted and completely combined.
Add the drained spinach, stir to combine. Add a few drops of green food coloring if desired.
Add the drained pasta and stir until completely coated.
Stir in the steamed cauliflower, and serve immediately. **I left my cauliflower in large chunks and waited until the very end to add them so they would stay whole, and so they would look creepier sitting near the top.
- I added the chopped parsley out of habit, but it is not necessary.
- Even with the two bowls, I wasn’t enough to “overflow” the can but you guys get the idea.
- I trimmed the zipper bag so the zipper was no longer visible, it needed to be blog photo worthy. I will be ordering an unlined can before I make this again.
- I used Americolor Soft Gel Paste in Leaf Green
- I chose Medium Shell pasta to make it look bumpy and less like macaroni and cheese. If you use a different shape let me know, I would love to see how it turns out!
- I used Vermont sharp white cheddar cheese so it would be easier to turn it green, and it’s still lactose-free.
Calories: 633kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 70mg | Sodium: 542mg | Potassium: 806mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 6380IU | Vitamin C: 48.8mg | Calcium: 491mg | Iron: 3mg