Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Ribs
If you are looking for something new to try on the grill this summer, these Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Ribs are the perfect sweet and tangy solution!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hrs 15 mins
Total Time2 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 4 Servings
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1 rack pork spareribs
- 1/2 cup cherry concentrate you can substitute cherry juice for the liquid
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup all-natural ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup cherry concentrate
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Slice onions into rings and place on a large baking sheet.
Place the rack of ribs on top of the onion slices.
Mix cherry concentrate, water (or cherry juice) and chipotle pepper together in a small bowl.
Pour mixture over the ribs in the pan.
Cover pan with with heavy duty aluminum foil and place in oven. Bake for 2 hours, or until meat starts to fall off the bones.
Place all of the sauce ingredients into a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
When ribs are done remove from oven.
Place on a clean baking sheet or platter and cover with sauce. Heat your barbecue grill or turn oven broiler on.
Place ribs on the grill to caramelize the sauce and give them a smokey flavor, or place under the broiler.
Cut ribs between the bones and serve with additional Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce.
- The cherry concentrate is thicker and more flavorful than a regular cherry juice. It does not matter when cooking the ribs, but it will make a difference in the flavor of the sauce.
- The barbecue sauce recipe makes 2 cups of sauce. You will not use all of it in this recipe, so the nutrition counts are off.
Calories: 1405kcal | Carbohydrates: 121g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 78g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 260mg | Sodium: 3071mg | Potassium: 1457mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 105g | Vitamin A: 625IU | Vitamin C: 9.5mg | Calcium: 171mg | Iron: 5.4mg