Instant Pot Chinese Garlic Chicken
The whole family will love this flavor packed Instant Pot Chinese Garlic Chicken, and you will love how simple it is to make!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion one small yellow onion
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos Tamari or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce I use Red Boat
- 4 Tablespoons golden monkfruit sweetener substitute honey or brown sugar if desired
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite sized pieces can substitute chicken breasts - use up to 1 1/2 pounds of chicken if needed.
- 1/2 teaspoon Glucomannan powder to thicken the sauce - substitute arrowroot or cornstarch
- 1 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
Turn on your Instant Pot and press the “Saute” button. Add the oil when the display reads “HOT”.
Add the onion slices and cook until they begin to soften and turn brown, about 3 minutes.
Add the minced garlic, stir to combine. Pour in the chicken stock, tamari/coconut aminos, sugar*, and fish sauce.
Combine the seasonings together in a small bowl.
Toss the chicken pieces with the seasoning mixture.
Carefully add the seasoned chicken pieces to the pot.
Press “Cancel” and secure the lid. Make sure the venting knob is in the “Sealing” position.
Press “Manual” and use the + and – buttons to adjust the time to 10 minutes.
When the pressure cooker beeps, turn the venting knob to release the pressure. Remove the lid and press “Cancel”.
Remove a small amount of the cooking liquid and pour it into a small bowl.
Stir in the thickener then pour the mixture back into the pressure cooker.
Press the “Saute” button and stir to combine the thickener with the chicken mixture. Add the zucchini and mushrooms slices, stir and simmer for about five minutes until the sauce is thickened.
Press the “Cancel” button and serve over rice or noodles of your choice.
- I used chicken thighs because they have more flavor, they do not dry out when cooking and they hold their shape really well.
- Feel free to substitute chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Keto people – substitute Tamari or gluten-free soy sauce for the coconut aminos if desired.
- Paleo people – substitute honey for the Monkfruit sweetener.
- Whole30 people – omit the sweetener.
- If you would like to add carrots, add them with the chicken so they have time to cook.
- The zucchini and mushrooms cook quickly while the sauce is thickening. You can cook them for a longer amount of time by simmering the sauce for a longer amount of time.
- Use code YUMMYHEALTHYKETO15% for 15% off Lakanto Products
Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 889mg | Potassium: 768mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 125IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg