This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Well that was a fun 24 hours! Not really, but it is the reason for the title Snowballs & snowfall!! We got more than a dusting, but not the 8″ – 12″ that we were expecting. Our final total is about 5″. The snow started about 6 p.m. Wednesday night, and continued until 5 p.m. Thursday evening. And the wind!!! WOW…45 mile per hour wind gusts blowing all of that snow around…..
I ventured out about 10:00 a.m. to get my hair cut (I made the appointment 2 months ago) and it wasn’t as bad as I had expected. As I was sitting there with foil all over my head, I was watching the developing white out conditions thru the windows! It got worse, then it slowed down again. In the “city” of Cedar Rapids it wasn’t all that bad. Once I got back in the “country” where I live in Marion, the snow was blowing all over the roads. Everywhere there is open land the snow is free to blow all over the place!
I finally started making my Christmas Cookies yesterday, and my first batch is Pecan Snowballs. Okay they are actually called Russian Teacakes, but they look like snowballs. This is one of my all time favorite holiday cookies. I’m not sure why I never make them any other time of the year, but it’s not Christmas without them. It is the recipe I have been using for as long as I can remember and I wouldn’t change a thing.
How to make Pecan Snowballs aka Russian Tea Cakes:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and vanilla…..
Add flour and salt, stir to combine…..
Mix in chopped pecans until dough holds together…..
Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheets.
Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until set but not brown…..
Remove from pan and roll in powdered sugar…..
Let cool completely…..
Roll cookies in powdered sugar one more time to thoroughly coat…..
Some additional cookie recipes for you to enjoy:
Grinch Snowball Cookies – these cookies have chopped pistachios and cranberries
Nocciolata Tea Cakes – “Nutella” and hazelnuts
So the upside is that we will have a White Christmas this year…..YEAH!!! Unless there is a tropical heat wave that blows through in the next couple of days. HAHAHA
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (plus more for rolling)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add flour and salt, stir to combine.
- Mix in chopped pecans until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until set but not brown.
- Remove from pan and roll in powdered sugar. Let cool completely.
- Roll cookies in powdered sugar one more time to thoroughly coat.