This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Buttery cookies filled with chopped pecans and coated in powdered sugar make Pecan Snowballs everyone’s favorite cookie! This classic holiday recipe is also known as Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cookies making them the perfect treat any time of year!
I finally started making my Christmas Cookies yesterday, and my first batch is Pecan Snowballs. Okay they are actually called Russian Teacakes, but they look like snowballs.
This is one of my all time favorite holiday cookies, it’s not Christmas without them. I grew up using this exact recipe and I would not change a thing!
Looking for some variety while staying true to the original? You definitely need to try these Grinch Snowball Cookies with pistachios and dried cranberries, and Mexican Wedding Cookies with ground cinnamon and walnuts.
How to make Pecan Snowballs aka Russian Tea Cakes
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and vanilla.
Add flour and salt, stir to combine.
Mix in chopped pecans until dough holds together.
Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheets.
Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until set but not brown.
Remove from pan and roll in powdered sugar.
Let cool completely.
Roll cookies in powdered sugar one more time to thoroughly coat.
Place cooled cookies single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze, then place in a freezer bag in a single layer or container stacked with parchment paper between each layer. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Store cookies in an airtight container after they are COMPLETELY cooled or they will get mushy. Cookies are best within 3 days, but will last for up to 5 days assuming you can keep your hands off of them.
Tools used to create this recipe
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can keep bringing you more delicious recipes!
- Cutting Board & Chefs Knife
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Hand Mixer
- Silicone Spatula
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper Sheets
- Wire Cooling Rack
- Mini Holiday Cupcake/Candy Liners
- Square Cookie Tins
More delicious holiday cookie recipes
- Grinch Sugar Cookies
- Candy Cane Cookies
- Traditional Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Mint Truffle Snowballs
- Nocciolata Tea Cakes – “Nutella” and hazelnuts
- Caramel Cream Sandwich Cookies
If you love this recipe, please rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and to help other readers in our community!
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (plus more for rolling)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add flour and salt, stir to combine.
- Mix in chopped pecans until dough holds together.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until set but not brown.
- Remove from pan and roll in powdered sugar. Let cool completely.
- Roll cookies in powdered sugar one more time to thoroughly coat.