This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Are you looking to cut down on sugar, but still want to have a cocktail every once in a while? This Keto Pina Colada is made with Coconut Milk, not the heavily sweetened Cream of Coconut (such as Coco Lopez) so you do not feel deprived when hanging out with friends. For even more options, check out the Tropical Pina Colada Recipes page.
You will not miss out on any of the thick, creamy goodness…just the sugar! Same great flavor, and it is dairy-free as well.
Ingredients need to make this cocktail
- Canned, unsweetened coconut milk
- Canned, unsweetened pineapple juice – frozen into cubes
- Pineapple flavoring oil
- Rum – optional
How to make a Keto Pina Colada with Coconut Milk
Place the coconut milk, frozen pineapple juice cubes, pineapple flavoring, ice and rum (if using) into a blender.
Puree mixture until thick and creamy, and ice has been pulverized.
Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
Because there is more coconut milk than pineapple juice, I added the pineapple flavoring oil to give it a boost. Without the pineapple flavoring, it tastes more like a coconut shake than a pina colada. Play with the amounts to find your perfect combination.
Why did you use frozen pineapple juice?
In an effort to keep the carb count down, and still have a thick drink, something needed to be frozen. If you use all ice, it will water down your drink…and no one wants that!
This ice cube tray was purchased at IKEA, but any type of ice cube tray will work. Three of those cubes equals one-quarter cup of juice. Yes, you will need to measure as you fill the tray to make sure you have the correct amount. Store any left over cubes in a zipper-topped storage bag in the freezer for next time.
Can I use Coconut Milk in a carton?
Yes and No. The coconut milk sold in a carton in the dairy section is not as thick and the coconut milk in a can. It will still work, but you will need more ice cubes to thicken your drink. For this same reason, the use of light coconut milk is also not advised.
Is rum keto?
Yes, in fact all pure forms of alcohol, such as rum, whiskey, tequila, vodka and gin contain zero carbohydrates. Just be aware that you will not be able to breakdown alcohol the same way as you could pre-keto. It will affect you much faster, and harder than before!
How to make a Keto Pina Colada Smoothie?
Simply substitute rum flavoring or omit the rum completely from your drink to create a delicious smoothie.
What if it is not sweet enough?
Full disclosure, I have not consumed sugar in almost two years so this drink tastes sweet to me. If you are looking for a sweeter drink, add 5 to 6 drops of liquid stevia to the mixture before blending. If still not sweet enough, try adding a tablespoon of Swerve or any other type of non-sugar sweetener.
More delicious keto drinks
Tools used to create this recipe
- Ninja Blender – this is a newer version of the one that I use.
- Ice Cube Tray
- Pineapple Flavor Oil – these oils are super-strength and have way more flavor than regular extract.
Note – one 13.66 ounce can of coconut milk and one 6 ounce can of pineapple juice will make 3 drinks.
Keto Pina Colada with Coconut Milk
- .25 cup coconut milk in a can – shake before using
- .25 cup pineapple juice frozen into cubes
- .50 cup ice or more for desired consistency
- 1 drop Lorann pineapple flavoring oil
- 1 ounce rum such as Bacardi – optional
- Place the coconut milk, frozen pineapple juice cubes, pineapple flavoring, ice and rum (if using) into a blender.
- Puree or Pulse mixture until thick and creamy, and ice has been pulverized.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
- This drink is best made with full-fat coconut milk in a can.
- The pineapple flavoring does not come with a dropper. Simply stick the tip of a straw into the bottle. Place your finger on the other end to create suction, then release your finger and drop the flavoring into the blender.