This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
I promised salads this week after that Death by Chocolate Trifle the other day, so here you go. This is my Southwest Chicken Salad Spring version that was a guest post over at thisgalcooks a few months ago. I know, I should have made you a new salad. But this week is all about bringing recipes home and getting things organized.....
Besides, my Southwest Chicken Salad Summer version was a huge hit! The Spring version features chopped avocado and a Creamy Guacamole Ranch Dressing, dairy-free of course. I think you have probably already figured out that Ranch Dressing is my absolute favorite dressing! My dairy-free ranch dressing is absolutely perfect, and one of my most re-pinned recipes! Turning it into guacamole ranch, is so simple...and so delicious.....
I may have named it the spring version, but it is perfect during the summer months as well. Here is the Black Bean Salsa with the spring avocados.....
I actually used this same salsa for a completely different meal tonight, that I will share with you in the near future 😉
As for organization, well we all need some organization in our lives. I have realized that my salad dressing recipes can only be found through a salad post. I think I may re-post all of them as individual posts so they stand alone and are easier to find.
How to make a Southwest Chicken Salad for Spring:
For the Salsa:
Place the corn, beans, bell pepper, onions, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro in a bowl. Add the olive oil and stir to combine. Add the cubed avocado, and gently stir.* Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
For the Dressing:
Mix the ranch dressing, guacamole and cumin together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
To assemble the Salad:
Place the lettuce, cilantro, and green onions in a large bowl or on a large serving platter. Stir to combine.
Sprinkle the chicken over the lettuce, and the salsa over the chicken.
Serve with Guacamole Ranch Dressing.....
It is best to make the salsa at least one hour before before serving, so the flavors have time to mingle and get happy. I wait to add the avocado until right before serving, but feel free to add whenever it works best for you.
Some additional Southwest Salad recipes for you to try:
- Southwest Chicken Salad Summer - with mangoes and Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Southwest Chicken Salad Fall - with roasted corn and sweet potatoes and Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Southwest Chicken Salad Winter - with pomegranate seeds and Orange Cilantro Dressing
- Tex-Mex Chopped Chicken Salad - with cheddar cheese chunks, broken tortilla chips and Ranch Dressing
Southwest Chicken Salad Spring
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 can organic corn (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can organic black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 large avocado (cubed)
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup ranch dressing (my dairy-free version)
- 2 ounces guacamole (I used 1 individual package of Wholly Guacamole)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
To assemble to Salad
- 1 bag leaf lettuce (I used European Blend)
- 1 bag spring mix (I used Baby Garden Blend)
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken (I used rotisserie)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Place the corn, beans, bell pepper, onions, cumin, chili powder, and cilantro in a bowl. Add the olive oil and stir to combine. Add the cubed avocado, and gently stir.* Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Mix the ranch dressing, guacamole and cumin together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
To assemble the Salad
- Place the lettuce, cilantro, and green onions in a large bowl or on a large serving platter. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the chicken over the lettuce, then sprinkle the salsa over the chicken.
- Serve with Guacamole Ranch Dressing.