This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Happy New Year!! I am determined to make this a good year on several different levels. Blogging, photography, and personally…..new year, new me! I do not usually make New Year’s Resolutions, but I think some definite changes need to happen…..whether we call them resolutions or goals the outcome is pretty much the same…..
Eat better, exercise, you know the drill. The easiest way for me to eat more vegetables, is in salads. So each time I create a new salad, I try to vary the ingredients and increase the amount of vegetables that it contains.
I completely forgot to post the “Fall” version of my Southwest Chicken Salad collection, so here it is! It has only been winter for a little over a week. 😉
How to make Southwest Chicken Salad for Fall with Chipotle Ranch Dressing:
The first difference is the fresh corn. Feel free to substitute frozen if fresh is not available. Okay, peel the outer husk away from the corn…..
Next, run your chef knife the sides of the corn to remove the kernels…..
Place the corn kernels into a bowl and set them aside. Peel a sweet potato and cut into strips…..
then cut into cubes…..
Place in a bowl and mix with one Tablespoon of oil…..
then pour out onto a baking sheet…..
Bake at 350 degrees until vegetables are browned and potatoes are soft…..
Allow to cool before mixing with remaining salsa ingredients…..
For this version, I decided to add ground chipotle pepper to my Homemade Ranch Dressing to give it a little kick!
I also thought it would be a nice contrast to the sweetness of the sweet potato and corn. I used a 1/2 teaspoon because I do not like spicy food, but you may want to add a full teaspoon or more to add more heat!
To serve, place lettuce on a large serving platter…..
Top with shredded chicken and black bean/sweet potato salsa…..
and serve with dressing…..
I cannot choose a favorite version of these Southwest Salads, they are all delicious and unique…..
More delicious Southwest Chicken Salad recipes:
Changing things up with Southwest Chicken Salad Wraps
Southwest Chicken Salad for Fall
For the Salsa
- 1 ear fresh corn kernels removed (substitute frozen corn if desired, roasted)
- 1 large sweet potato peeled, diced, and roasted
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 1 can organic black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 green onions sliced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil separated
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
For the Salad
- 1 bag leaf lettuce
- 1 bag Spring Mix
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
For the Dressing
- 1 cup homemade ranch dressing
- ½ - 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
For the Salsa:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix corn kernels and sweet potato cubes together in a large bowl with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place on a large baking sheet, and bake 15 - 20 minutes, or until potatoes are softened.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Mix salsa ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
For the Dressing:
- Mix chipotle pepper with the ranch dressing and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place lettuces on a large platter.
- Top with shredded chicken and salsa, and serve with dressing.
- Garnish with additional chopped green onions and cilantro if desired.