Our Aquarius friends sign rules the circulatory system, so this month’s meal is all about keeping the blood flowing. The Milky Way Martini was just for fun, now we are ready for a healthy Aquarius Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette…..
Health Benefits of this Aquarius Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette:
Blueberries rank highest of any fruit in anti-oxidant properties that control proper blood flow through the vessels and the amount of oxygen in the blood. One cup provides 14% of the recommended daily dose of fiber and nearly 25% of of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C, with only 100 calories.
Carrots contain beta carotene that helps lower LDL cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Four and a half ounces of carrots will provide 52 calories, 15% of the recommended daily intake of fiber, 308% of Vitamin A, 13% Vitamin C, as well as Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, biotin, potassium, and thiamine.
Pistachio nuts are high in antioxidants, Vitamins A and D, potassium, phosphorous, proteins, and healthy fats, which help lower LDL cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol levels which lowers blood pressure.
Cayenne pepper helps adjust blood pressure to normal levels, eliminates bad cholesterol and triglycerides, and cleanses the blood vessels. I only added a small amount to the vinaigrette to give it a small kick. Feel free to increase the amount if you prefer more heat!
How to make an Aquarius Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette:
Whisk together blueberry vinaigrette ingredients until combined. Set aside.
Divide salad greens and place on salad plates.
Top with grated carrots and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with pistachios.
Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.
This is a pretty powerful salad that we would all benefit from eating on a regular basis!
I could not find fresh blueberries, so I used 100% fruit, all-natural preserves for the vinaigrette.
During the summer months, add whole blueberries to this salad to pack an even healthier punch!
Recipes in this Aquarius meal:
Aquarius Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup blueberry preserves
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dash of ground cayenne pepper
- 4 cups spring mix salad greens
- 2 large carrots grated
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios shelled
- Whisk together blueberry vinaigrette ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- Divide salad greens and place on salad plates.
- Top with grated carrots and cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with pistachios.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve.