This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
I am a bit sad to see this month’s Cooking with Astrology “Gemini” meal end, I really enjoyed it. I hope all of my Gemini friends enjoyed it as well, since it is created for you! Disclosure: my allergies have kicked big time, and the room is spinning as I am writing this. If it doesn’t make any sense, just let me know. I will fix it later!
The healthiest way to eat this Breakfast Tostada, is the way it is shown above. There is plenty of protein in the black beans. They are also high in fiber and magnesium, and a good source of potassium and iron. We have good fats, folic acid, potassium, and anti-oxidants in the avocado. Vitamin C in the Pico de Gallo, and whatever nutritional value there may be in shredded lettuce. 😉 Top it with some cheese for calicum, and you have a well-rounded meal to start your day.
Did I mention that the tortilla is baked not fried? That’s right, I baked the tortilla shell this time to make it even healthier…..
How to make a healthy Breakfast Tostada:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush both sides of tortillas with oil…..
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown…..
I made Refried Black Beans or you could heat and smash black beans…..
Spread the black beans on top of the tortilla…..
top with shredded lettuce…..
This is where you need to decide if you are using eggs or not. To remain a vegan breakfast, top with avocado…..
Yes, there is pico de gallo hiding under the avocado, but it looks much prettier with the salsa on top. 🙂
Top with vegan cheese, crumbled Queso Fresco, or shredded cheese of your choice. This meal is so versatile, you really can use any combination that you can think of!
Doesn’t this egg-topped version look delicious? The second day I decided to try it with the egg on top, but it honestly didn’t need it…..
In fact, it made it a bit harder to eat. The avocado kept slipping off!
Cooking with Astrology “Gemini” meal:
More delicious breakfast recipes:
- 4 small corn tortillas
- olive oil
- 1 cup refried black beans
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or salsa of your choice
- 4 large cage-free eggs fried,optional*
- queso fresca crumbled or cheese of your choice (optional*)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Brush tortillas with olive oil and place on a silpat/parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Place tortilla on a plate and top with black beans.
- Sprinkle with shredded lettuce.
- *If using fried egg, place on top of lettuce.
- Cut avocado in half and remove pit. Slice thin slices into avocado and remove flesh with a large spoon, and place on top of lettuce or egg*.
- Spoon pico de gallo over the avocado.
- Sprinkle cheese on pico de gallo if using.
- To make vegan: skip the egg, and use vegan cheese