Are you ready to pull the grill out and start barbecuing up a storm? Yes, that is a real word! Whether you are craving beef, chicken, or ribs this Pineapple Bourbon Barbecue Sauce is ready for the job! It is sweet, slightly spicy, and boy does it pack a punch!! It’s not a bad punch, but you do need to be ready for it, LOL…..
I started coughing with my first bite. At first, I thought it was the chipotle chili powder, but Alex pointed out that it is actually the bourbon that is giving the throat punch. Once you swallow it goes away, then the heat from the chili powder kicks in and makes your mouth tingle. Then sweetness rounds out all of the flavors and keeps your coming back for more. 😉
It is a multi-layer barbecue sauce that will run circles around any sauce that is available in the grocery store, and super simple to prepare.
How to make Pineapple Bourbon Barbecue Sauce:
Pour all ingredients into a medium sized sauce pan, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until thick and reduced by about half…..
It smells amazing as it simmers!! Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week…..
This recipe will fill 1 1/2 mason jars if you are not using it immediately.
These Pineapple Bourbon Barbecue Ribs were so delicious!!
The amount of heat is up to you. I used 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder and was happy with the amount of heat. My son’s girlfriend would have preferred that I use the whole jar, she likes her food A FUEGO!!
Please do not ask me if there is a substitute for the bourbon, it is named Pineapple Bourbon Barbecue Sauce because it contains bourbon, LOL
More delicious Barbecue sauce recipes:
Tangy & Sassy Barbecue Sauce – no alcohol in this one!
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce – no alcohol in this one either
Ahhh, the possibilities…Enjoy!!
Pineapple Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup all-natural ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup bourbon (I used Knob Creek)
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Pour all ingredients into a medium sized sauce pan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until thick and reduced by about half.
- Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Use additional chipotle chili powder for added heat!
- Store in the refrigerator and use within one week.