Tangy and Sassy Barbecue Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Last Updated on June 16, 2020 by Lisa Johnson
Have you ever made your own barbecue sauce? I have actually made several already, but I am always being asked how to make them without alcohol. Well here you go…Tangy and Sassy Barbecue Sauce…with no alcohol! I bet you weren’t sure that I could come up with one. Well technically my friend Deb from Cooking on the Front Burner came to the rescue and gave me the link to her Tangy BBQ Sauce to use as a starting point…..
I came up with the name for this sauce, after taking the photo with my crazy, basting brush head guy. I knew that I needed something fun, and playful to go along with that photo, LOL…..
This barbecue sauce is thick, and tangy as you can see by the name, but it is not what I would consider a sweet barbecue sauce.
I made this sauce for this month’s main course for Cooking with Astrology “Virgo” – Slow Cooker Barbecue Beef Sandwiches…..
but it would also be perfect on ribs, chicken, or burgers…and it could not be any easier to make!
How to make Tangy and Sassy Barbecue Sauce:
Heat the oil in a medium sized sauce pan, and cook the chopped onions until translucent, about 10 minutes…..
Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Then add the tomato paste, brown sugar, and water, stir to combine…..
Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine…..
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes. Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week, assuming that you don’t devour it all in one sitting! 😉
His little feet are suction cups, so he doesn’t fall over and spill sauce all over the place while you are using it…in theory anyway. 😉 I have yet to get him to stand up for any length of time, LOL. He looks really cute sitting on top of the range, so I keep him around!
More delicious Barbecue Sauce recipes:
- Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce
- Guinness Barbecue Sauce
- Pineapple Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Cherry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Ancho-Orange Barbecue Sauce – Whole30 & Paleo
- Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce – no alcohol in this one either
- Sugar Free BBQ Sauce – no alcohol, no sugar (Keto)
- Alabama White Barbecue Sauce – no alcohol, no tomato
Tangy and Sassy Barbecue Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 large cloves garlic (minced)
- ½ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ cup water
- 3 Tablespoons molasses
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika (used smoked paprika for a smokey flavor)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add the tomato paste, water, and brown sugar, stir to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
OK, that little pastry brush is absolutely adorable! And this barbecue sauce with molasses and brown sugar sounds mouthwatering!
You know, I never have made my own sauce, and when I read through this recipe, I see that it really isn’t hard at all. The brush man is adorable – I’m thinking stocking stuffer! Gonna pin this…
Homemade BBQ sauce is the best! I love all the ingredients in here…pinning!
Your sauce turned out great Lisa! I really like your brush!
Thanks Deb, and thanks so much for the inspiration! 🙂
Mmmm – I love homemade BBQ sauce! Love your little brush guy too!! 😀
Lisa, this sauce sounds incredible and that sandwich loos amazing! I am in love with your brush guy and I totally want one! 🙂 Pinned and sharing – have a great Tuesday!
I’ve never made my own bbq sauce! The flavors in this sound amazing!!
I don’t know what I love more.. your basting brush friend or this recipe! I wish I could hug them both!
That brush is hilarious! I always make my own BBQ sauce, but I’m always on the lookout for something new and yummy! This looks amazing. 🙂
Ebay is a dangerous place, I just couldn’t pass up that brush. 🙂 Thanks so much Andi!!
Yum. this sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!
this looks yummy 🙂 I recently made some weird BBQ sauce for over some chicken. 🙂