This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Well I finally did it!! I opened up my brand new Crock Pot Slow Cooker that I won from Jessiker Bakes, and made this amazing Slow Cooker Pot Roast <insert applause>. I have owned a Crock Pot for years, but only used it to keep dip warm during parties. I honestly had no clue how to cook a meal in one…until now!
I took my favorite Pot Roast recipe and cooked it in the slow cooker instead of cooking it on top of the stove. Why did I not know about this before? Life would have been so much easier when my kids were growing up…Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, band concerts, parent teacher conferences…if I had ever bothered to use my slow cooker. Yes, the blonde is real…moving on…
I have always added my carrots and potatoes towards the end of cooking, so I wasn’t sure how this was going to work. No one wants to eat mushy carrots and potatoes, right? Silly me, they turned out perfectly!
How to make Slow Cooker Pot Roast:
I added the chuck roast and beef broth to the pan, and sprinkled with sea salt and pepper…..
I wanted to make sure that there was moisture at the bottom, so nothing would burn…since I had no idea how this was going to work! 😉 Then I added my onions, I wanted them nice and close to the meat for flavor…..
then the potatoes and carrots…..
Now it’s time for the garlic, thyme, bay leaf and wine…..
Put the lid on, clamp it down…..
Set the timer on HIGH for 6 hours and go about your day…..
I looked around the internet, and most recipes called for 6 hours…so that’s what I went with. Six hours later…..
Voila…perfectly cooked pot roast, carrots, and potatoes. It’s like magic!
I sliced up the meat, put it on a plate with some of the vegetables, and covered it with Homemade Beef Gravy…..
Perfection! I cant’ have Pot Roast without fluffy, soft Dinner Rolls, so I made those too.
more delicious slow cooker recipes:
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- 3 pound chuck roast
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large yellow onion cut into wedges
- 2 pounds mini yukon gold potatoes cut in 1/2
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 cup dry red wine I used Cabernet Savignon
- Place beef chuck roast into the pan of your slow cooker.
- Pour the beef broth over the roast and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Pour the wine over the top and place the lid on top.
- Set the time on HIGH for 6:00 hours.
- Check to make sure meat pulls apart with two forks. If not, continue cooking until it does.
- Cut meat into chunks or slices and serve with vegetables, gravy, and dinner rolls.