This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
I cannot believe that I have been living in Iowa for 13 years already! Our weather has been quite crazy this past year, and so far fall has been just as strange. We have been dealing with foggy conditions for the past week. Fog always reminds me of Fresno. Yes, fog does have something to do with this BBQ Chicken Salad...keep reading.
Thankfully our fog is nowhere near as dense as Fresno's, we can still see our driveway! There is nothing scarier than driving to work and not being able to see the street lights until you are underneath them!
I had been working at Marie Callender's restaurant before I moved to Iowa. Right before I left, they added a Barbecue Chicken Salad to the menu. At first we all looked at each other and wondered who came up with that crazy idea. Barbecue Sauce on a salad? That's strange even for California! It became one of my favorite salads, but it was missing ranch dressing. Not everyone loves Ranch dressing as much as I do, but I have included my recipe for Homemade Ranch Dressing just in case you are feeling adventurous.
How to make BBQ Chicken Salad:
In a large bowl, mix together the lettuce, tomatoes, corn, jicama, green onions, and cilantro.
Top salad with shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, tortilla chips, and ranch dressing (if using).
Working in a restaurant exposes you to many different foods, and some of the secrets to making them at home. This salad is the first of many of my old favorites foods from home that I will be sharing with you. The best part about making them at home, is that I can make them healthier and without MSG!
More delicious salad recipes:
- Tex-Mex Chopped Chicken Salad
- Asian Sesame Chicken Salad
- Superfood Salad
- Chicken Shawarma Salad
- Asian Beef Salad
- Cilantro-Lime Steak Salad
- Pesto Chicken Salad
BBQ Chicken Salad
- 6 Cups mixed green lettuce I used pre-packaged
- 2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 can organic corn
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup jicama julienne cut into strips
- 2 Cups shredded chicken rotisserie, or left over is perfect
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce or more if desired
- 12 crumbled tortilla chips as garnish
- ranch dressing
- Mix together in a large bowl, lettuce, tomatoes, corn, jicama, green onions, and cilantro
- Top salad with shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, tortilla chips, and ranch dressing (if using).
- Toss to combine and serve.