This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
It is no secret how much I love burgers. This Classic Diner Burger is the burger that started it all back when I was a child. A juicy…some would say greasy…cheeseburger slathered with thousand island dressing that runs down your arm. The kind of burger that comes wrapped in white paper with french fries and a chocolate shake!….
Yes, I am old enough to remember Bob’s Big Boy. I loved eating there when I was growing up. Then in college, the Bob’s Big Boy in town was torn down to make room for a bookstore. It was okay though, I had the “Theresa Burger” at Marie Callenders. Theresa was the head cook when I started working there, and boy did she make an awesome burger!!
Sadly, Theresa left for a better job. The cute little diners slowly disappeared and were replaced by large corporate chains, and barbecue bacon cheeseburgers kind of took over.
28 a few years, and now I can make my own! 🙂 Grass-fed ground beef, Homemade Hamburger Buns, and my very own Thousand Island Dressing bring back fond memories of when food was real and and not processed beyond recognition. No, I am not oblivious to the fact that the buns were “toasted” on the same grill that the burgers were cooked on. I never claimed that burgers are health food, just that they can be made with healthier ingredients! 😉
How to make a Classic Diner Burger:
Form ground beef into patties. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until no pink remains…..
Place cheese slices on top of burgers and allow to melt…..
Spread thousand island dressing on bottom bun. Add the pickles and cheeseburger, then top with lettuce, tomato, and onion slices…..
Spread additional dressing on top bun, top burger and serve with fries and a chocolate shake…..
I have been planning to post this burger for quite a while now. Then when I looked at the calendar and saw that today was Patriot Day, it just seemed perfect. What could be more American than a big ‘ol cheeseburger, some freedom fries, and chocolate shake?
More delicious burger recipes:
Classic Diner Burger
- 1 1/2 Pounds grass-fed 85% ground beef
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 4 Slices cheddar cheese
- lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 4 hamburger buns toasted
- Form ground beef into patties. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until no pink remains.
- Place cheese slices on top of burgers and allow to melt.
- Spread thousand island dressing on bottom bun. Add the pickles and cheeseburger, then top with lettuce, tomato, and onion slices.
- Spread additional dressing on top bun, top burger and serve with fries and a chocolate shake.