This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
You already know how much I love barbecue.....anything, but this Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce takes barbecue ribs to a whole new level! It's sweet, and tangy with an occasional kick that kind of sneaks up on you. I was careful to not let the bourbon overpower the sauce. It is there, but not in your face like the (Jack Daniels) Whiskey Glaze that I made last year.
The whiskey glaze was more intense, and the whiskey was definitely the star!! I wanted this sauce to rival any sauce that you could find on a grocery store shelf, and I think that I accomplished that.
I made barbecue ribs for Easter, and realized that I forgot to make the sauce.....until the ribs were done cooking, so I had to throw all of the ingredients together quickly! 😉
How to make Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce:
Pour all of the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and to a boil.....
Reduce the heat and simmered for 30 minutes until it is thick and reduced by about half. Voila, Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce to the rescue.....
I had already written down the ingredients that I wanted to use, I just forgot to actually create the sauce. Too many ideas going through my head at the same time!!
As you can see, we do not do ham for Easter. In fact, we never have. I do not like ham because it is too salty, but I do love my ribs.....and un-cured bacon.....so I am not anti-pig.....just anti-salt! 😉
More delicious barbecue sauce recipes:
- Pineapple Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Peach and Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Cherry Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Guinness Barbecue Sauce
- Alabama White Barbecue Sauce
- Sugar-free BBQ Sauce
You may have missed out on having these yummy ribs for Easter, but you can still make them for Memorial Day, or Father's Day, or Fourth of July or any other day in between. I won't judge. 😉
I think there might be a barbecue bacon cheeseburger in my future with the left over sauce.
Tha - tha- tha- that's all folks! Enjoy!!
Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup all-natural ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup high-quality bourbon (I used Knob Creek - 100 proof)
- 1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- Pour all ingredients into a medium sized sauce pan, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until thick and reduced by about half
- Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.