Do you know what happens when you combine Teriyaki Sauce and the flavors in barbecue sauce? In Lisa’s world, you end up with Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce. I was looking for something a little bit different for my chicken sandwich a few weeks ago. A sauce that was both tangy and fruity, and this delicious sauce was born…..
My plan was to create a simple and delicious Slow Cooker Hawaiian Barbecue Chicken Sandwich, and I did, but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. This Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce however, was perfect! So I will share this fun sauce today, and I will continue working on the sandwich. 😉
How to make Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce:
Pour all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan…..
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until reduced by half. Make sure you stir the sauce occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. 😉
Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week…..
This sauce is perfect for basting chicken and ribs on the grill, or mixing into shredded chicken.
When I combined the two recipes together, I cut back on the amount of brown sugar and left out the molasses. If your pineapple is not very sweet, you may need to up the brown sugar a bit. I liked the tangy, tart flavor, but it is definitely not as sweet as a traditional barbecue sauce.
This sauce is also not as thick as a barbecue sauce, but I really liked the way it turned out….and it doesn’t contain alcohol!! LOL
More delicious barbecue sauce recipes:
Ancho-Orange Barbecue Sauce – Whole30 & Paleo
Hawaiian Barbecue Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup all-natural ketchup
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 Tablespoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 ounce can crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- Pour all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until reduced by half.
- Serve immediately, or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to a week.