Do you remember those amazing Breakfast Tostadas from last week? Well I promised you the recipe for the Refried Black Beans that I made, and I never go back on my promises! I really LOVE these Refried Black Beans!!! They were so delicious on the breakfast tostadas, that I made them again for tonight’s dinner – Cilantro Lime Steak Salad…..delicious!!
Oddly enough, I found this recipe in Simply Gluten Free Magazine (May/June 2014). I was drawn to the fact that they are vegan, not that they are gluten free. 😉 That is just an added bonus!
How to make Refried Black Beans:
Start by heating olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chopped onions, chili powder, and ground cumin…..
Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, until tender…..
Add the beans and water…..
Smash the beans with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon…..
Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with Vegan, Monterrey Jack, or Queso Fresco cheese, if desired.
They make the perfect side dish for your favorite Mexican meals, and an excellent base to tostadas, salads, dips, and burritos. One of these days I will get around to making Traditional Refried Beans made with pinto beans, but for now I am happy with these.
More delicious Mexican recipes:
Refried Black Beans
- 1/2 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 30 ounces organic black beans two cans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cups water
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Queso fresco Monterey Jack, or vegan cheese (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions, chili powder, and cumin. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add the black beans and water.
- Smash beans with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Continue cooking until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese if desired.
- If beans are too thick, add additional water to thin.