This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
The very BEST Homemade Guacamole you will ever make is simple, and ready to eat in minutes. Made with fresh, high-quality ingredients like avocados, onion, tomatoes, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro, this guacamole recipe is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, whole30, paleo, and keto.
My version is a bit different, in that it does not contain chopped yellow or red onions. Say what? I am not a huge fan of raw onions, so I don't use them very often.
I use green onions instead, and it is just as delicious.....I promise! You can use chopped yellow or red onion if you prefer.
- large, ripe avocados - avocados that are firm, but have a slight give to them. You don’t want soft and mushy avocados.
- fresh lime juice
- green onions - substitute .25 cup of chopped onion
- diced chiles - substitute diced jalapeno or use serrano pepper for more heat
- Roma tomatoes - they have less moisture
- sea salt
Post updated with new images and substitutions.
Looking for delicious Instant Pot Recipes? Sign up for a FREE Top 10 Instant Pot Recipes e-Book and receive future recipes delivered to your inbox!
Do you know how to cut up an avocado? Just in case you don't, I will show you.
How to pit an avocado:
Start by cutting the avocado in half with a sharp knife.
Take the knife, and very carefully whack the pit with it.
Now pick up the avocado half and twist the knife with the opposite hand to release it.
Voila, now whack it against the trash can to get rid of it. Or, rinse it off, stick toothpicks on all four sides and place it in a jar of water so you can grow your own. Next, grab a large spoon, and run it around the outer edge.
If you were going to use strips for sandwiches, make lengthwise slices with a knife before you scoop it out of the skin.
How to make homemade Guacamole:
Place the avocados in a bowl and mash it with a fork. You can make them smooth or chunky.
Add the lime juice, garlic, cilantro, green onions, chilies, and tomato and stir to combine. Season with salt to your liking.
Pour into a serving bowl and serve with warm tortilla chips or tacos.
Why does guacamole turn brown?
Guacamole oxidizes and turns brown very quickly. The lime juice helps to slow this process, but it will eventually start to brown.
Place leftover guacamole in a storage container and press plastic wrap down across the top to create a barrier. Place a lid on top and store in the refrigerator for a few days.
Recipes that use Guacamole:
- California Chicken Club Sandwich
- California Burgers
- Tex-Mex Burgers
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Shredded Beef Chimichangas
- California Dogs
- Southwest Chicken Wraps
Tools used to create this recipe:
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can continue creating more delicious recipes!
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large clove garlic pressed or finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 whole green onions green and white parts - chopped
- 2 tablespoons canned, chopped chiles
- 2 Roma tomatoes peeled, seeded,and chopped - .25 cup
- sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Cut, pit, and scoop out the flesh from the avocados. Place the avocados in a bowl and mash it with a fork. You can make them smooth or chunky.
- Add the lime juice, garlic, cilantro, green onions, chilies, and tomato and stir to combine. Season with salt to your liking.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and serve with tortilla chips.
- Substitute 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper for the canned chiles.
- Substitute .25 cup diced red or yellow onion for the green onions.
- Place leftover guacamole in a storage container and press plastic wrap down across the top to create a barrier. Place a lid on top and store in the refrigerator for a few days.