This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Do you like Guacamole? I do!! I love putting it on sandwiches and burgers, more than I like eating it with tortilla chips. Can you guess what I have coming up this week? That’s right, a few different uses for this delicious condiment. Now my version is a bit different, in that it does not contain chopped yellow or red onions. Say what? I am not a huge fan of raw onions, so I don’t use them very often.
I have used green onions instead, and it is just as delicious…..I promise. 🙂 So do you know how to cut up an avocado? Well just in case you don’t, I will show you how I do it.
How to pit an avocado:
Start by cutting the avocado in half with a sharp knife…..
Now take the knife, and very carefully whack the pit with it…..
Now pick up the avocado half and twist the knife with the opposite hand to release it…..
Voila, now whack it against the trash can to get rid of it. Or, rinse it off, stick toothpicks on all four sides and place it in a jar of water so you can grow your own. 😉 Okay, now grab a large spoon, and run it around the outer edge…..
If you were going to use strips for sandwiches, make lengthwise slices with a knife before you scoop it out of the skin.
How to make Guacamole:
Toss the avocado into a bowl, and mash it with a fork or avocado masher…..
I already told you that I own every kitchen gadget I can get my hands on! 😉 Now add the pressed garlic…..
and stir in the lime juice, cilantro, green onions, chilies, and tomato…..
I just roughly chopped the chilies. Make them as big or small as you like…..
If you like more heat, add minced jalapeno or serrano chilies. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into a serving bowl and serve with chips…..
Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for a week, if it lasts that long!
Some recipes that use Guacamole:
- California Chicken Club Sandwich
- California Burgers
- Tex-Mex Burgers
- Grilled Steak Fajitas
- Shredded Beef Chimichangas
- California Dogs
- Southwest Chicken Wraps
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large clove garlic (pressed or finely minced)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 whole green onions (chopped)
- 1 can whole chiles (rinsed, seeded, and chopped)
- 2 Roma tomatoes (peeled, seeded,and chopped)
- sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Cut, pit, and scoop out the flesh from the avocados. Place in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Stir in lime juice, garlic, cilantro, green chilies, green onions, and tomato. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and serve with tortilla chips.
- Substitute 1 jalapeno pepper for the canned chile.
- Substitute 1 Tablespoon diced red onions for the green onions.