This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Last Updated on June 17, 2020 by Lisa Johnson
The main course for our Cooking with Astrology “Aquarius” meal is….. Chicken Paprikash (Csirke Paprikash). Technically it would translate to “paprika”, but the SEO Gods preferred “paprikash” and who am I to argue with them. 😉 This meal is very similar to Beef Stroganoff – mushrooms, sour cream/Greek yogurt, mixed with egg noodles…..Yum!
This is not a quick meal to prepare, but most of the cooking time is hands off…..so it’s not really that bad!
How to make Chicken Paprikash:
Start by sauteing the mushrooms…..
Remove them from the pan, and cook the onions and garlic…..
They never seem to package similar sized chicken breasts together…..
So I always place them between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound them with a rolling pin until they are an even thickness…..
this helps them cook more evenly. 🙂 Then I cut them into even pieces…..
Dredge them in the seasoned flour mixture and set aside…..
Add the vinegar and paprika to the skillet…..
Push the onions aside and add the chicken…..
Brown on both sides, add the broth and mushrooms, cover and cook for 1 hour…..
Remove the chicken to a plate and slice…..
This will make it much easier to eat! Now stir in the Greek yogurt…..
Add the noodles and chicken and stir to combine…..
Serve with additional chopped parsley…..
Health benefits of Chicken Paprikash:
Chicken contains Vitamin B6 which helps reduce the amount of damage to the walls of the blood vessels. It is best to choose organic, cage-free chicken that has been raised without hormones and antibiotics whenever possible.
Paprika is surprisingly good for you, who knew? It contains more than 9 times more Vitamin C than tomatoes. It also contains significant levels of Vitamins A, E, and K which help to maintain healthy veins and capillaries. Paprika is packed with the essential minerals Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorous, which are beneficial in purifying the blood. I usually only use it to make my deviled eggs look pretty. 😉 That will need to change!!
The characteristics of our Aquarius friends:
Detached, eccentric, futuristic, humanitarian, independent, inventive, original, focused, and unconventional. Do your Aquarius friends match those characteristics? Ashton Kutcher sure does!
Recipes in this Aquarius meal:
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 16 ounces Greek yogurt I used Fage
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Italian parsley plus more for garnish
- Heat 1 of Tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Mix flour, salt, celery salt, and pepper. Dredge chicken breasts through the flour mixture and set aside.
- Remove mushrooms, add an additional 2 Tablespoons of oil, onions, and garlic to the skillet. Cook until onions are tender. Stir in the vinegar and paprika
- Push onions to the side of the pan and add 2 Tablespoons of oil. Place chicken into the center of the pan and cook until golden brown, 3 - 4 minutes on each side.
- Add the chicken stock and mushrooms,and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and mix with 2 Tablespoons butter and 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and stir in the Greek yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice chicken breasts and return to skillet. Stir in the noodles and serve.
- For a dairy-free version - substitute non-dairy sour cream for the Greek yogurt and oil for the butter.
This recipe look and sounds absolutely amazing. I am going to be definitely making this soon! Pinned and Bookmarked 🙂
Happy Valley Chow
This recipe looks AH-MA-ZING! Pinning and trying it out this week. Thanks so much for sharing!
It has been a hot minute since I made Chicken Paprikash!!! YUM!!! This looks amazing Lisa! I always like reading these posts. Not if you could just give me my horoscope!!!
This chicken paprikash looks incredible! We are big fans of beef stroganoff so I’m sure we would love this, this sounds so tasty and full of flavor!
That sounds delicious! I’ve been stuck in a rut so I think I will try this next week.
Lisa, this recipe sounds so good and I love finding new ways with chicken. Your cooking with astrology recipes/menus are always so much fun, and yes, my Aquarian friends DO fit this to a T! Thanks for sharing and pinning – have a happy Monday!
This dish looks spicy, creamy, and so delicious. I love that there’s minimal prep — cover it and forget it!
Oh yes. I am so pinning and so making this! It looks exactly like my kind of dinner! Thank you for the recipe, Lisa!
Ooohhhh this looks darn good, Lisa! I could gobble it up right now! Pinned and sharing on social media. Thanks for sharing at Marvelous Mondays!
Thanks for sharing a recipe for this delicious dish,Lisa!!!
I’ll prepare it tomorrow!;)
hugs from Greece
Thank you Anastasia, I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
The addition of Greek yogurt makes this look so rich and creamy! How delicious!!
Thanks for linking up at Sweet and Savoury Sunday, I’m the new co-host and would love for you to link up this weekend. This looks delicious, I love noodles for dinner.
Welcome to the party Laura, I will be there!! Thanks so much. 🙂
Pinning this.. just bought some broad noodles that will be perfect for this dish. Thanks for bringing it to foodie friday Lisa.
Thanks Diane, I hope you enjoy it. 🙂
Looks great, cant wait to give it another try! Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Retreat hope to see you back on Thursday!
Thank you so much, I hope you enjoy it! 🙂