This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Happy National Pi Day! To celebrate, a bunch of my blogging friends have gotten together and created some awesome pies to share with you. Julie from White Lights on Wednesday is getting married one year from today on 03/14/2015, so today also starts the countdown to the wedding!! My contribution to the party, is Cassi’s Lattice Top Apple Pie…..
Cassi made this pie for our ThanksChristmas Dinner back in November, and I have been waiting for the perfect opportunity to share it! Her patience while baking still amazes me!! I’m not sure that I would have understood how to create that lattice top just by reading the directions. Luckily for you, I took photos every step of the way.
How to make a Lattice Top Apple Pie:
Start by making the dough for the Pie Crust. Divide dough in half and roll one half into a 13 inch circle and place in the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan…..
Place pie pan in the refrigerator until ready to fill. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Place apple slices in a large bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Sprinkle apples with cinnamon mixture and toss to completely cover the apple slices…..
Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator, and mound the apple mixture in the center making the center higher than the sides…..
Scatter the diced butter over the apples…..
Brush the edge with the egg wash, and set aside. Roll the second half of the dough into an 11-inch circle (two inches wider than the pie pan). Mark the dough in 1/2 inch increments, to create 14 to 16 strips…..
Cut strips with a pastry cutter, pizza cutter, or large knife…..
Place every other strip on top of the apples…..
Fold every other strip halfway back on it’s self…..
Place 1 strip horizontally across the remaining strips, then fold back down…..
Now fold the same strips back on themselves…..
and place another strip across them horizontally…..
Continue until the first section is completed. Flip pie around, and continue the process on the other side…..
until the entire pie is covered. Crimp down the edges with a fork…..
Trim edges with a knife…..
Adjust the strips as needed if you have OCD, or leave them alone for a rustic look…..
Brush the top with egg wash…..
and sprinkle with raw sugar, if desired…..
Place on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes…..
Reduce heat to 35o degrees, and bake until top is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a knife, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack for at least 20 minutes before serving…..
Serve warm or at room temperature…..
More delicious pie recipes:
- Apple Pie for Two
- Bourbon-Pear Pie
- Mocha Almond Fudge Truffle Pie
- Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- S’mores Ice Cream Pie
Lattice Top Apple Pie
- 1 recipe double-crust pie dough
- 3/4 cups tightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 7 cups apples 6 to 7 medium (peeled, cored, and thinly sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter diced
- 1 large egg + 2 Tablespoons water egg wash for crust
- raw sugar to decorate top optional
- Roll out half of pie dough and line a 9-inch pie pan. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, sprinkle apples with lemon juice. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples and toss to combine, evenly coating the apple slices.
- Mound the apples in the center of the pie lined pie pan.
- Dot the top of the apple slices with the diced butter. Brush the edge with egg wash and set aside.
- Roll out the second batch of pie dough 2 inches wider than the pie pan.
- Mark the pie round in 1/2 inch increments, you should have 14 to 16. Cut dough into strips with a large knife or pizza cutter.
- Place every other strip on top of the apple filled crust, arranging them vertically across about a 1/2 inch apart.
- Starting at the center, fold back every other strip on it's self.
- Lay a strip horizontally across the remaining strips. Fold vertical strips back down over the horizontal strip.
- Fold back the opposite vertical strips.
- Place a second horizontal strip across the vertical strips. Fold back down as before.
- Continue folding, and laying strips, then flip the pie around and duplicate on the opposite side until the entire pie is covered.
- Crimp the edges with a fork. Trim with a knife.
- Brush egg wash over dough strips, and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until the crust is golden brown and the apples feel tender when pierced with a knife, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.