This is the first of several recipes that I have created for the Athens Fillo Shells Super Bowl contest. Each recipe can only have 5 ingredients, and take 15 minutes or less to prepare…..challenge accepted! These Barbecue Chicken Bites are a fun and delicious appetizer that can be thrown together for any type of occasion…..
Have you ever tried fillo shells? If you haven’t you should, they are a lot of fun. They are perfect for one bite foods, and the crispy shell adds a crunch and some texture. If you have ever made baklava you know how time consuming buttering each and every layer is. Athens has created these cute little shells that require no prep work at all!
I still had barbecue chicken pizza on the brain, and decided to try it out in a fillo shell instead of a pizza crust. They are awesome, and you can’t beat 15 minutes start to finish.
How to make Barbecue Chicken Bites:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Chop chicken into small pieces and mix with the barbecue sauce in a small bowl.
Fill each shell with about 1 teaspoon of chicken mixture.
Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone liner.
Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 5 – 6 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
This recipe won January’s Chef’s Choice Award in the Athens Contest!!!
More delicious appetizer recipes:
Chicken Enchilada Bites – this recipe won the Blogger Contest!
Barbecue Chicken Bites
- 2 cup cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken is perfect)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used colby jack)
- 2 packages Athens mini fillo shells
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop chicken into small pieces and mix with the barbecue sauce in a small bowl.
- Fill each shell with about 1 teaspoon of chicken mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- Top with shredded cheese. Bake for 5 – 6 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.