This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
You may have figured out from the title, that I am starting a new series this week entitled "Cooking with Astrology". No, I am not going hippie, new-age on you....I promise! Come on, it will be fun and you will get the recipe for this delicious Shaved Fennel Salad with Pineapple!
I have always been fascinated by astrology, and now that I am single again, I thought it might be fun to explore the different astrological signs.....through food. I also started to think about blogging, and what makes my food blog different from all of the others? What do I have to offer that you won't find everywhere else? By this time next year, you will be able to find a full menu for all twelve astrological signs. But it doesn't matter when your birthday is, each meal is delicious and healthy!
How to make Shaved Fennel Salad with mixed greens, pineapple, and a lemon vinaigrette.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix bread cubes, oil, salt and pepper together on a baking sheet.
Bake for 4 - 5 minutes, then turn over with a spatula and continue baking until golden brown, about 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Set aside.
To Assemble the Salad:
Shave the fennel as thin as possible with a mandolin or sharp chefs knife.
In a large bowl, toss together the fennel, pineapple, mixed greens, croutons and vinaigrette.
I was a little nervous about the fennel, but it was actually quite good. The sweetness of the pineapple works perfectly with the arugula, although my pineapple chunks could have been larger. Light, simple salad that would be perfect with any meal!
Have you ever noticed that most of your friends have similar birthdays? Mine do. I am obviously drawn to Scorpios, which is a good thing for friends. And I have always been drawn to Libras and Leos as boyfriends, and now ex-husband...bad thing 🙁 After the ex walked out, I started looking into astrology to find out more about our personalities and why things were such a mess. I wish I had done this research 25 years ago!!!
A Taurus (me) is incompatible with a Libra or Sagittarius.....oops! Sooooo, I looked into which signs are compatible; Cancer, Pisces, Virgo, Taurus. Well now I know. The Sun Sign Cancer starts June 22rd and ends July 23nd.....perfect timing! So I have created the perfect meal for my imaginary perfect astrological match, and I will be sharing it with you over the course of the next week.
The sign cancer is ruled by the moon, so I went with a moonlight glow for the table. Pretty for dining, not so good for food photography!
More recipes in this Cancer meal:
Cancer's symbol is the crab, so Italian Seafood Pasta seemed like a perfect fit. The Pinot Grigio in the wine glasses was also a perfect!
OMG...yes I did!!! That yummy Creme Brulee is dairy-free!
Yes, that gorgeous Italian Frittata is breakfast, don't judge.....I'm just covering all of the mealtime bases! Based on this meal, I think Mr. Cancer is Italian.....what do you think?
Shaved Fennel Salad
- 2 cups crusty bread cubes 1/2 inch, I used sourdough
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons grapeseed oil or any light tasting oil
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 Tablespoons grapeseed oil or any light tasting oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper
For the Salad
- 1 large fennel bulb remove tough outer leaves
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 4 cups mixed greens
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix bread cubes, oil, salt and pepper together on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 4 - 5 minutes, then turn over with a spatula and continue baking until golden brown, about 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Shave the fennel as thin as possible with a mandolin or sharp chefs knife.
- In a large bowl, toss together the fennel, pineapple, mixed greens, croutons and vinaigrette.
- Serve immediately.