This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Do you love potato skins? Do you hate the idea of deep frying foods at home? I am trying very hard not to fry anything, but sometimes you start craving some of your favorite foods that just so happen to be deep fried! What’s a girl to do? Baked Potato Skins!!
Ummm, get creative! Let’s start by acknowledging the fact that potato skins are not health food! Okay, now that we have that out of the way, these Baked Potato Skins have to be healthier than deep fried…right!
How to make baked potato skins:
Let’s start by cleaning our potatoes. No one wants to eat dirt!
Just be careful not to scrub all of the skin off. If you have OCD, have someone else clean them for you. Now poke them with a fork 5 or 6 times so that the steam can escape as they cook, otherwise they will explode!
Rub them with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper, and place on a baking sheet…..
Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, turn them over, and continue cooking for another 30 minutes…..
Let them cool until you can hold them without burning your hands. Slice them in half lengthwise, and scoop out the flesh…..
If you scoop out too much, just fill it back in. They will be covered with cheese, no one will notice! Now you have a choice at this point – you can brush the tops with bacon grease (as I did) or you can brush them with olive oil. I wanted to make sure that these skins still had a lot of flavor, and they were amazing! Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place back in the oven for about 20 minutes…..
This would also be a really good time to play with spices and flavor them with chili powder, garlic or onion powder…get creative. Remove them from the oven and sprinkle them with shredded cheese and bacon pieces…..
Return to the oven to melt the cheese, which won’t take very long at all. You can see that the cheese is already melting from the hot skins. I served mine with Ranch Dressing, because it is my favorite, and a Chiptole Dip (Greek yogurt and adobo sauce)
more delicious appetizer recipes:
Baked Potato Skins
- 4 pounds small russet potatoes
- 6 slices un-cured bacon cooked and cut into pieces
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper
- chopped green onions to garnish
- ranch dressing for dipping
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and scrub potatoes.
- Piece with a fork 5 or 6 times.
- Rub with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, until cooked through and soft.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool to the touch. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out some of the potato and place back on baking sheet.
- Brush with olive oil or bacon grease and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with grated cheese and bacon pieces. Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted.
- Serve with ranch dressing or chipotle sour cream/Greek yogurt.
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream mixed with 1 teaspoon of adobo sauce.
- If you like it spicy, use 1 Tablespoon of adobo sauce.