This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
For the next 4 weeks, myself and 14 other bloggers are joining together for a Clean Eating Challenge. I will be here each Saturday with delicious, healthy meals, desserts, and snack recipes that your family will love. My first recipe for this challenge, is a Clean Cobb Salad. This salad still maintains all of the delicious flavors found in the original classic, but is much healthier.
So what exactly is Clean Eating? Clean Eating according to Clean Eating Magazine is ” food in its most natural state, or as close to it as possible. It is not a diet; it’s a lifestyle approach to food and its preparation, leading to an improved life”. Any food with crazy, chemical sounding names, is not clean and therefore not healthy.
Well that’s great Lisa, but I see bacon on that salad! Yes, you do see un-cured, nitrate-free bacon on my salad. I always use beeler’s hickory smoked uncured bacon. Ingredients: Pork** water, sea salt, turbinado sugar, celery powder. The Pork** is “from hogs raised without antibiotics or growth promotants and are vegetarian fed”. Everyone of those ingredients is all-natural and can be pronounced by a kindergartener. 😉
I am severely allergic to mold, so there is no Roquefort cheese on my salad. I have included it in the recipe as an option, or eliminate it for a paleo/whole30 salad…..I am all about the options!
How to make a Clean Cobb Salad:
The first thing you want to do, is make the Lemon Vinaigrette. Place all of the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously to combine, or you can whisk them together in a bowl…..
Set the dressing aside to mingle and get happy. Place chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound until even…..
I always do this before cooking chicken. It helps the chicken cook more evenly. Season chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, and Herbs de Provence. Heat oil in a large skillet, and cook chicken until no longer pink…..
You could also grill the chicken during good weather! 🙂 Allow chicken to rest, then cut into bite sized pieces.
In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, parsley, and mint. Toss with 2 Tablespoons of the vinaigrette…..
Season with salt and pepper, and toss again. I used red and green Boston lettuces in case you were wondering why they are different colors. Divide the salad, and place on 4 plates…..
Dice the avocados and place them in a medium sized bowl. Toss with 1 Tablespoon of vinaigrette…..
Add the chicken, tomatoes, pine nuts, and cheese (if using), additional Tablespoon or two of vinaigrette, and toss to combine. Divide mixture and place on plated salad. Sprinkle with bacon and chives and serve…..
More healthy salad recipes
- Big Greek Salad
- Cilantro-Lime Steak Salad
- Kale Broccoli Detox Salad
- Superfood Salad
- Black Kale Salad
Clean Cobb Salad
For the Salad
- 1 pound all-natural chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces Boston lettuce (cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
- ⅓ cup mint leaves
- 2 large avocados (pitted and diced)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes (halved)
- ½ cup pine nuts (toasted)
- 8 slices uncured, nitrate-free bacon (cooked, cooled, and cut into chunks)
- ½ cup sliced chives (about 3/4-inch long)
- ¾ cup crumbled Roquefort cheese (optional)
For the Lemon Vinaigrette
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon honey (omit for whole30)
- 1 large clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
For the Lemon Vinaigrette:
- Mix all ingredients together with a whisk, or shake vigorously to combine. Set aside.
For the Salad:
- Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap and pound until even.
- Sprinkle with Herbs de Provence, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Cook chicken until no longer pink, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together lettuce, parsley, and mint. Toss with 4 Tablespoons of Lemon Vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper, and toss again.
- Divide salad mixture and arrange on four large plates.
- In a medium sized bowl, toss diced avocado with 1 Tablespoon of lemon vinaigrette.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, and pine nuts and toss with an additional Tablespoon of Vinaigrette.
- Divide mixture and arrange in the center of the lettuce mixture.
- Sprinkle each salad with bacon and chives, and serve.
Eliminate Roquefort Cheese
Substitute unpasteurized apple cider vinegar Whole 30 Substitutions:
Eliminate Roquefort Cheese
Substitute unpasteurized apple cider vinegar
Eliminate honey Recipe adapted from The Best of Fine Cooking Magazine - CookFresh Spring 2014