This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Good morning everyone! Today’s recipe is pulling double duty, and is definitely up to the challenge. Not only are these Blackberry Ginger Chocolate Chip Muffins “clean” for the Clean Eating Challenge, but they are also the breakfast portion of this month’s Cooking with Astrology “Taurus” meal.
While this month’s meal is not necessarily unhealthy, these muffins are the only party of the meal that can be classified as being “clean”.
Don’t let the names “clean” and “healthy” scare you. These muffins are delicious, and packed full of flavor!! I am going to let you in on a little secret…..these muffins are based on my favorite Belgian chocolate bar…..
The local grocery store imports them from Belgium, and they are dangerously delicious!! These muffins are my answer to the
problem situation. They still have the flavors that I love, but are much healthier.
How to make Blackberry Ginger Chocolate Chip Muffins:
In a large bowl, beat together egg, oil, and evaporated cane juice…..
add the buttermilk, and beat for an additional minute to combine…..
Grate the ginger…..
and stir into the batter. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, just until incorporated…..
Gently stir in the chocolate chips and blackberries…..
Scoop the batter…..
into 12 paper liners…..
Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Move muffins to a wire cooling rack…..
They are best when served warm…..
For a truly thyroid healthy muffin, I would have used Guava for it’s high levels of vitamin C, and Brazil Nuts for their selenium and zinc. Unfortunately, I am severely allergic to both of those!! Blackberries are high in fiber which may help lower cholesterol. They also contain vitamins C and K, and trace amounts of manganese which is good for your bones, so it’s a good trade-off. 😉
Thanks so much for joining me for this month’s meal, next month will be Gemini.
Blackberry Ginger Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 3 Tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cups evaporated can juice
- 1 cup buttermilk coconut milk (box + 1 teaspoon vinegar for dairy-free)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger heaping teaspoon
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour Bob's Red Mill (or white whole wheat flour (King Arthur's Flour))
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 ounces fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, beat together egg, oil, and evaporated cane juice.
- Add the buttermilk, and continue to beat until well incorporated.
- Stir in the ginger, then the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, only until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Gently fold in the blackberries.
- Scoop batter into 12 paper liners and place in a muffin tin. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the muffin.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin tin and place on a wire cooling rack.
- Serve warm. Store extra muffins in an airtight container for three days, or allow to cool completely, place in a zipper top freezer bag and place in the freezer.