Winter is coming and I am already looking forward to big bowls of hearty chili and steaming soup. Some people like crackers alongside their soup, or chips with their chili, but I love a nice big slice of Skillet Cornbread topped with creamy, whipped Honey Butter. Talk about comfort food, and nothing tastes better on a chilly, winter night…..
You don’t have to make Skillet Cornbread, this recipe also works in an 8 x 8 baking dish. I was looking for something different, something not square, lol
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cast iron skillet with baking spray, set aside.
Whisk together eggs, milk, and melted butter in a large bowl…..
Stir in sugar, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt just until blended…..
Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean…..
To make the Honey Butter:
- Whip butter in a large bowl.
- Add the honey and continue whipping until light and fluffy.
Nice slice up your Skillet Cornbread and slather it with some delicious honey butter…..
Or you could simply break it and place it in your bowl before pouring in some delicious chili. 🙂
If you bake your Cornbread in an 8 x 8 baking pan, it will be thicker…..but square, lol
- My cast iron skillet is 11-inches, so my Skillet Cornbread is on the thin side. An 8-inch skillet would be ideal, but that’s not what I have on hand.
- Whole milk has more fat than cashew milk which I personally think affects the texture, it’s a bit more crumbly.
- This cornbread is not sweet like cake, that’s what the honey butter is for.
My favorite recipes to serve alongside my cornbread are…..
The possibilities are endless. What do you serve your cornbread with?
|Serves||6 to 8|
|Prep time||10 minutes|
|Cook time||30 minutes|
|Total time||40 minutes|
- 2 Large eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 Cups milk (I used unsweetened cashew milk)
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 Cups cake flour
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Honey Butter
- 1/2 cup softened, unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
|Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cast iron skillet with baking spray, set aside.|
|Whisk together eggs, milk, and melted butter in a large bowl.|
|Stir in sugar, cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt just until blended.|
|Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.|
|To make the Honey Butter:|
|Whip butter in a large bowl.|
|Add the honey and continue whipping until light and fluffy.|
This recipe will be partying at these link parties!