This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
These Cassava Flour Tortillas are grain-free, nut-free, and gluten-free, which makes them perfect for all of your Paleo, Celiac, or allergy-free meals. I mentioned last week that I was craving tortillas, and I actually caved and used wheat flour tortillas with my Instant Pot Pork Carnitas. If you have been following me for a while, you know that I do not follow any specific diet.....
I have played with Paleo recipes on and off because my body has issues with carbohydrates, it loves them!! That is a bad thing, because all of those lovely carbohydrates turn into not so lovely layers of fat on my body. It is all trial and error to find what work for "Me". If it helps you out as well, that is even better! 🙂
These Cassava Flour Tortillas are my very first attempt at making tortillas...ever!! I made two different batches using two different methods, and both were delicious and fit within the Paleo guidelines which is an added benefit as well.
How to make Cassava Flour Tortillas:
Mix ingredients together in a large bowl with a hand mixer or pastry cutter.....
I used a hand mixer, but I'm sure a stand mixer would work as well if you prefer.
Divide dough into 6 pieces and roll into balls.....
The texture is a lot like Playdough, LOL
Place each dough ball between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap....
and roll out with a rolling pin, or flatten with a tortilla press.....
Roll the dough out on a cassava flour or tapioca flour covered silicone mat.....
The edges were drier and not as smooth with this method.
Heat a cast iron skillet or round griddle over medium-high heat until hot.
Place a flour tortilla onto the hot pan and cook until bubbles have formed. Flip to the other side and cook until brown spots form. Flip once again to allow the first side to brown.....
Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Place warm tortillas in a tortilla warmer separated by sheets of parchment paper or foil.....
These Cassava Flour Tortillas are soft and pliable, but tend to stick together which is why I added the parchment paper sheets between them.
Dough can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator in a zipper top bag for a few days, or stored in the freezer until ready to use.
This is the Cassava Flour that I purchased from Amazon... surprise, surprise! Amazon Prime is dangerous. 😉
The parchment paper sheets that I used are actually Burger Patty Paper, but they work perfectly for small items that need to be separated.
I used Palm Oil Shortening because I am allergic to coconut and don't want to risk using coconut oil. I found mine at Sprouts, so check your local stores.
and Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef.....
Cassava Flour Tortillas
- 3/4 cups cassava flour
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 Tablespoons palm oil shortening or coconut oil
- Mix ingredients together in a large bowl with a hand mixer or pastry cutter.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces and roll into balls.
- Place each dough ball between two sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and roll out with a rolling pin, or flatten with a tortilla press.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or round griddle over medium-high heat until hot.
- Place a flour tortilla onto the hot pan and cook until bubbles have formed. Flip to the other side and cook until brown spots form. Flip once again to allow the first side to brown. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Place warm tortillas in a tortilla warmer separated by sheets of parchment paper or foil.