This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
It’s finally warming up around here and that means summer is on it’s way. What does every barbecue, picnic, or potluck need? Bacon Potato Salad of course!! If you answered Potato Salad, you are half correct. My version takes traditional potato salad to a whole new level. Believe it or not, it is even Princess Cassi approved, and she hates bacon!!
A crazy thing happened while Princess Cassi was in Europe, she was forced to eat a variety of different foods. I tried to get her to try things like fish, Mexican food, bacon, but nooooooo, she didn’t like it. Somehow these “moms” in Belgium were able to
force convince her to broaden her horizons and give peace a chance. Wait, that last part is not quite right. 😉
She actually asked me to make this Bacon Potato Salad for a barbecue after she got home last summer. Everything was going great, until she saw “how” I make this potato salad. I’ll explain later, I don’t want anyone running away in horror!
How to make Bacon Potato Salad:
I start by boiling my potatoes and eggs together until the potatoes are fork tender…..
While the potatoes and eggs are cooking, I cook my bacon to crispy, but not crunchy…..
In case you’re wondering, 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes depending on thickness of your bacon. 😉 Drain your potatoes and eggs…..
then set them aside to cool. Trust me, you do not want to try and cut hot potatoes…it hurts! Drain bacon on paper towels, and reserve the bacon grease for later…..
Don’t give me that look, just do it! This is the secret ingredient that makes it so delicious. Dice the potatoes and eggs…..
In a large bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, and 2 Tablespoons of the reserved grease/fat, whatever you want to call it. If you are
higher than a kite a walking zombie while taking Sudafed, go ahead and mix everything together all at once…..
I probably should not be allowed to play with sharp knives right now. 😉 Either way, your Bacon Potato Salad will end up looking like this…..
Cover and chill until ready to serve…..
Short on time, check out my Instant Pot Bacon Potato Salad! Same great taste, just a different way to cook the ingredients. 🙂
Both versions of Bacon Potato Salad are Paleo and Whole30 compliant when you use Whole30 Mayonnaise, mustard and Whole30 bacon. 🙂
Here are a couple more salads that would be perfect at your next picnic or BBQ:
Bacon Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds small red or gold potatoes, skin on (boiled and quartered)
- 2 large eggs (hard boiled - diced)
- 5 slices uncured bacon (cooked and chopped, reserve grease*)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon country-style Dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons reserved bacon grease
- 3 green onions (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Boil eggs and potatoes until potatoes are fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Chop or crumble and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, and reserved bacon grease.
- Cut the potatoes into quarters, dice the eggs, and add to the bowl. Add the green onions, Italian parsley, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
This recipe will be partying at these link parties!