This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
I am a bit behind schedule, but here is our dessert portion of this month’s Cooking with Astrology “Cancer” picnic meal. This Tropical Cantaloupe Salad is like summer in a jar. I wanted a light and healthy dessert that is also a bit unconventional. You know me, I have to be different. I came across a recipe for a starter with cantaloupe, cucumber, and cucumber, but it looked more like a dessert to me…..
Well maybe not the cucumber, but it looked like a delicious fruit salad so I went for it. 😉 There was a bit of a glitch along the way, which I will explain later.
How to make Tropical Cantaloupe Salad:
Start by scooping out the cantaloupe with a melon baller or small cookie scoop…..
Peel and seed 1/4 of a large cucumber and cut it into 1/2-inch cubes…..
Pit, dice, and peel 1 mango…..
Place fruit in a large bowl and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the oil, lemon juice, honey, and ginger…..
Pour over fruit and toss to combine…..
Cover and chill for 30 minutes to allow dressing to soak into the fruit. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and serve…..
Sooooo, do you see those little white “globs” on the fruit? That would be the chilled coconut oil. I was trying to keep this fruit salad really healthy, but I was not expecting that to happen. Well that is why I have included both types of oil in the recipe. If you don’t mind the white globs, then go for the coconut oil. Otherwise, use sunflower or some other light oil.
So what do you think of our first picnic? I am really excited to see how the next 11 turn out!
Cancer meal recipes:
The entire picnic fit perfectly in my Market Basket, which made it really easy to transport…..
Don’t forget the straws, napkins, and forks!
A BIG Happy Birthday to all of my Cancer friends! 🙂
Tropical Cantaloupe Salad
- ½ whole cantaloupe cut into balls or bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cucumber peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 mango peeled, pitted, and cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoons sunflower or coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- Place cantaloupe, cucumber, and mangoes in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix together oil, honey, lemon juice, honey, and ginger and pour over fruit.
- Toss together to thoroughly combine, and chill for 30 minutes.
- Serve with coconut flakes garnish.