This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Last Updated on April 19, 2023 by Lisa Johnson
The sun is shining and the days are getting longer….it’s time to get out of the house! Invite your friends and family over for an impromptu tapas party featuring this delicious Summer Berry Sangria.
It is super simple to make using mixed berries, sliced citrus, orange liqueur, a fruity merlot, and sparkling soda to add some fizz!
My son’s birthday was a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately he was out of town and we couldn’t go out to celebrate.
Plan B…I sent him a text and asked him to grab some friends and come over for “food”! No explanation, just come over and be prepared to eat and drink. 😉
I knew that my Summer Berry Sangria would need to chill, so that’s where I started.
How to make Summer Berry Sangria
To keep things simple, I poured my orange liqueur into the serving pitcher.
Then sliced my orange, lemon, and lime.
Tossed them into the pitcher along with a bag of frozen mixed berries.
Then I poured a bottle of Arbor Mist Blackberry Merlot into the pitcher, keeping my fingers crossed that it would fit.
and it did!! I covered the pitcher with plastic wrap and placed it into the refrigerator until my guests arrived.
While my sangria was chilling, I made the appetizers: Sweet and Spicy Almonds, Marinated Olives & Mushrooms, Albondigas (Spanish Meatballs), Couscous Salad with Peaches and Arugula, and Cilantro Lime Shrimp.
I did run out of time, so the dessert did not happen. It honestly wasn’t a big loss, because the Summer Berry Sangria was sweet enough to finish off the meal.
When you are ready to serve your sangria, place some ice into a cup (yes, we used plastic) and pour in the sangria leaving about an inch at the top for your carbonated soda (I used Strawberry-Lime).
Garnish with a lime or orange slice and you are ready to celebrate summer in style! This Summer Berry Sangria would be perfect for Memorial Day and Fourth of July!!
Why is the soda not added to the pitcher like a normal sangria recipe?
- It would not fit!
- I am anything but normal
- It goes flat and then you won’t be able to save your leftovers -assuming you have any.
More delicious wine recipes
Summer Berry Sangria
- 1 cup orange liqueur
- 1 orange sliced
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 lime sliced
- 1 bag frozen mixed berries
- 1.5 Liter bottle Arobor Mist Blackberry Merlot or your favorite Merlot
- carbonated soda of your choice I used strawberry-lime, Sprite or 7-Up would work
- Add orange liqueur to a large pitcher or container.
- Add the orange, lemon, and lime slices.
- Add the frozen mixed berries, stir.
- Pour in the Merlot, cover and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- To serve, pour chilled Summer Berry Sangria into ice filled glasses leaving about an inch to top off with soda.