This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
You may not know this about me, but I love a challenge!
Last October I entered a Clean Eating Baking Contest and won. I still do not know what I won (it will be announced in the January issue), but I won something. Now what other challenges are out there???
I decided to enter the Dei Fratelli Tomato contest. I had a recipe 23, maybe 24 years ago for Tomato Vinegar Chicken. Did you notice that I said “had”? I think I originally found it in Bon Appetit Magazine, but I have no idea what happened to that recipe. My husband has mentioned it several times over the years so I knew that was the one I had to enter…..
I tried a few different versions based on what little I could remember and this is our favorite one. I did not win the contest, but I still think this is an awesome recipe. The tomatoes and vinegar add a tangy undertone to the sauce, while the butter adds richness that puts it over the top!
Tomato Vinegar Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup pinot noir white vinegar (any wine vinegar will work)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh rosemary (finely chopped)
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts or thighs (boneless, skinless)
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter (cut into slices)
- 3 Tablespoons fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven or large skillet
- Add onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until softened (3-5 minutes)
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, pepper, salt, stock, and rosemary. Bring to a boil and add the chicken
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes
- Remove the chicken and cover with foil to keep warm. Continue to simmer sauce for an additional 20 minutes to thicken slightly
- Melt the butter into the sauce
- Serve chicken on a bed of hot pasta with the sauce poured over the chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley.