This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Apple Crisp may seem like a strange recipe to post on the third day of June, but I have my reasons. While most of the country is melting in the oppressive heat, we are experiencing Fall like temperatures here in Eastern Iowa…..
I just took Alex to pick up his car, YES it is finally done, and I wished that I had taken a sweatshirt. Now I am not complaining, I LOVE these temperatures! The weather roller coaster is just a bit hard to plan for, or should I say dress for. Last week we were in the upper 80’s with high humidity. At least it stopped raining!
Today just feels like the kind of day that you would enjoy some warm apple crisp topped off with some creamy (non-dairy) ice cream.
Okay, focus Lisa…. Do you grind your own nutmeg to use in recipes? I always do, in fact I use this really cool ceramic grater for nutmeg and fresh ginger…..
that is the whole nutmeg sitting on top. And in case you are wondering how I get my apple sliced so perfectly. It is thanks to this handy dandy corer/peeler/slicer gizmo…..
Since I don’t like apple peel, it is perfect for me! I just pull them off, slice them in half, and they are ready to use. 😉
How to make Apple Crisp:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 x 8 x 2 baking dish. Set aside.
Stir brown sugar, oats, flour, and spices together in a large bowl. Mix in the softened butter to form a crumbly topping. Set aside…..
Core and slice your apples (mine are also peeled, I’m just weird that way)…..
Place the apple slices in your prepared baking dish…..
Sprinkle topping mixture over the apples. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes until the apples are tender and topping is golden brown…..
Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream…..
My original purpose for this website was to be a family cookbook for my kids. I never realized what an awesome “scrapbook” it would become, full of recipes, memories, and photos 🙂 Am I sounding sentimental? Maybe it’s because Cassi comes home in less than 3 weeks!!!
More delicious apple recipes:
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples cored, sliced - about 4 medium
- 3/4 cups brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 x 8 x 2 baking dish. Set aside.
- Stir brown sugar, oats, flour, and spices together in a large bowl.
- Mix in the softened butter to form a crumbly topping. Set aside.
- Core and slice your apples (mine are also peeled, I'm just weird that way).
- Place the apple slices in your prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over the apples.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes until the apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with ice cream.