This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Valentine’s Day is almost here, so I started thinking up some ideas for an awesome meal. As I was thinking and creating, it dawned on me that any of my Cooking with Astrology meals would work for Valentine’s Day. Then I realized that I did not want to create a Valentine’s Day meal AND a Cooking with Astrology “Pisces” meal back to back! 😉 So…..
it was time to kick it in gear and create an extra special meal for our Pisces friends. We are starting with this delicious, and hearty Southwest Crab Chowder. The weather is still insanely cold here in Iowa, so a salad is just out of the question…..I need warmth! The chipotle pepper will definitely warm you up, and adds the perfect compliment to the sweet crab meat! Thick, creamy, and chunky all at the same time.
So are you curious about the inspiration for this meal? That was actually pretty simple, Mike Rowe was the only single Pisces that I could find. You may know him as the guy from Dirty Jobs.
No worries, he cleans up nicely.
and since he also narrates The Deadliest Catch, seafood needed to be on the menu! Our main course is Cherry Chipotle Glazed Salmon.
Then we move on to Dark Chocolate Fondue for dessert.
with a Raspberry Braid for breakfast.
Now back to that Southwest Crab Chowder. Again, I live in Iowa so my only option for crab is hermetically sealed cans in the refrigerated section. If you have access to fresh crab, go for it!
How to make Southwest Crab Chowder
First we cook our onion and garlic.
then add the small gold potatoes that have been quartered.
then the flour to thicken up the soup.
next add the wine, milk, and stock.
now the creamed-corn and chipotle pepper.
Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Add the crab and cilantro.
and continue cooking until thoroughly heated. Garnish with additional cilantro and serve!
I HATE all of the cold weather and snow that we are having this year, but this Southwest Crab Chowder puts a smile on my face…..at least for a while! Given the conditions that the crab fisherman must endure to bring me this delicious crab meat, I guess I shouldn’t really complain.
Pisces runs from February 19th through March 20th, just in case you were wondering. The body part ruled is the immune system. I have tried to fit in as many immune boosting foods as I could, while still having some Valentine’s Day fun.
Southwest Crab Chowder
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 1 pound small Gold Youkon potatoes such as Melissa's Yellow Baby Dutch, quartered
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine substitute stock if you don't want to use wine
- 1 1/2 cups milk I used coconut milk (box)
- 1 cup seafood stock substitute chicken stock if needed
- 14 3/4 ounce can creamed-style corn
- 12 ounces lump crab meat I used 2 refrigerated cans
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder use more if you like things spicy
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes to soften. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the potatoes, stir and cook for one minute.
- Sprinkle with flour, stir and cook for one minute.
- Stir in the wine and milk. It will start to thicken, then stir in the stock, creamed-corn and chipotle. Bring to a simmer stirring frequently.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the crab and cilantro and cook until thoroughly heated, for 4 to 5 minutes.