This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Have you ever made crackers at home? Well surprise, surprise, I never had, but now I will definitely make them again in the future! These Sesame Crackers turned out so good, and were absolutely perfect to serve along with the Greek Eggplant Dip from this month’s Cooking with Astrology picnic. They would also be delicious served with soup this winter.
I was originally planning to make pita chips, but everyone makes pita chips. I was intrigued by the flavor combination of lemon, thyme, and sesame seeds together in the same cracker. I’ll be honest, that combination would not have been my first thought. 😉
One of the things that I love most about these meals, is that it forces me to venture outside my food comfort zone. There are so many different cultures and foods that we wouldn’t normally be exposed to, and I am determined to change that for myself and everyone else that wants to be adventurous right along with me! I will admit, it would be a lot more to fly to Greece and try these foods in person…..
but that will not be happening anytime soon in my life! I will continue to dream, and draw inspiration from my ridiculously large collection of cookbooks. 😉
How to make Sesame Crackers:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, 2 Tablespoons, of sesame seeds, lemon peel, thyme, salt and pepper together in a large bowl…..
Cut your butter up into small pieces…..
I may have gone a bit extreme, but it worked. Use a large fork or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs…..
Gradually stir in the cold water until it forms a a firm dough…..
Place dough on a well floured surface…..
Roll out until it is very thin…”cracker” thin. Cut out circles with a 2 inch cutter…..
Mine was slightly smaller than 2 inches, no need to be overly picky. 😉 Place crackers on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with egg white and sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds…..
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned…..
Place on a wire rack to cool, then store in an airtight container.
Serve with your favorite dip or along side your favorite soup. Just watch out, they are addictive!
- 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons sesame seeds separated
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 2 Tablespoons chopped, fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 3 - 4 Tablespoons cold water
- 1 egg white
- Place the flour, 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds, lemon peel, thyme, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the butter pieces and cut into the dry ingredients until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Gradually stir in the cold water until it forms a firm dough.
- Place dough onto a floured surface, and roll out until very thin.
- Use a 2-inch round cutter to cut out crackers.
- Place crackers on silpat/parchment lined baking sheets.
- Brush the tops of crackers with egg white and sprinkle with remaining sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack, and store in an airtight container.