This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Have you ever been to Peru? Do you know where Peru is on the map? I will admit, I had to look it up to be sure. Peru is south of the Equator, on the west coast of South America. I never know what to expect when I start researching recipes for Food of the World, but as soon as I saw Pollo a La Brasa, Peruvian Roasted Chicken, I knew what I wanted to make.
Pollo a La Brasa, aka Peruvian Roasted Chicken, is traditionally cooked in charcoal and served with French Fries. Since I do not have a charcoal grill, I opted to roast my chicken in the oven…and forgo the french fries for some healthier Steamed Rice…..
I LOVE this chicken!! The flavors are strong, but not overpowering. The chicken is moist, and delicious, and could not be easier to prepare! Plan ahead, this chicken needs to marinate for 8 to 12 hours. 🙂
How to make Peruvian Roasted Chicken:
Mix the marinade ingredients together in a bowl…..
Place the whole chicken in a large, zipper top bag and pour in the marinade…..
Place the chicken in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 hours, or overnight. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and place chicken in a roasting pan along with the onion and pepper slices…..
Fill the cavity of the chicken with some of the onion and pepper slices, and tie legs together…..
Drizzle with remaining marinade and place in the oven. Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, basting occasionally with the pan juices. Continue cooking until thermometer reaches 175 to 180 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the breast…..
Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving…..
Serve with lime wedges and drizzle with the pan juices…Yummy!!
To make this recipe in an Instant Pot:
- Follow the instructions in my Instant Pot Faux-tisserie Chicken Post. Cook on Manual for 25 minutes with 1 cup of broth, then NPR for 15 minutes.
- Do not brown the chicken before cooking, wait until it is finished and place it under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the skin.
Some additional Whole Chicken recipes to try:
- Classic Roast Chicken
- Greek Roasted Chicken
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant Pot Huli Huli Chicken
- Slow Cooker Lemon Rosemary Chicken
Peruvian Roasted Chicken
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (substitute coconut aminos for whole30/paleo)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 5 cloves garlic (finely minced or pressed)
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
To Roast the Chicken
- 3 pound whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 large red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 large sweet yellow onion (cut into wedges)
- 1 lime (to garnish)
Marinate the Chicken
- Mix marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Place whole chicken in a large, zipper top bag and pour in the marinade.
- Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 8 hours, or overnight.
To Roast the Chicken
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, and surround with onion and pepper slices. Stuff some of the onion and pepper slices into the cavity of the bird for additional flavor.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, basting occasionally with pan juices until thermometer reaches 175 to 180 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the breast.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 10 before serving.
- Serve with rice or french fries, and drizzle with pan juices.