Greek Roasted Chicken
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Last Updated on November 19, 2020 by Lisa Johnson
The Greek Place was a restaurant here in Cedar Rapids that closed a few years ago. It was one of our favorites, so I am determined to recreate all of the dishes that I loved to order. I am still working on my Pastitsio making skills, but this Greek Roasted Chicken, aka Chicken ala Grecque turns out perfectly every time!
This is my version based on what I could remember, and the Greek flavors that I wanted to incorporate. You have to have oregano, lemon, garlic, and thyme. I also figured that you can’t go wrong with the addition of onion and Italian parsley.
The skin is crispy, and the meat is tender and flavorful! Forget about the rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, this is much better.
How to make Greek Roasted Chicken:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Rub olive oil all over the skin of the chicken, and sprinkle with the herbs, salt and pepper…..
Stuff the cavity of the chicken with half of the garlic cloves, lemon wedges, and onion wedges…..
Tie legs together with twine to hold them in place. Place remaining garlic, onions, and lemon in the pan surrounding the chicken…..
Place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes until golden brown and thermometer reaches 165 degrees…..
Allow chicken to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Some delicious Side Dishes recipes
More delicious Greek chicken recipes
- Instant Pot Whole Greek Chicken
- Sheet Pan Greek Chicken Dinner – with potatoes, zucchini, squash and onions
- Greek Sheet Pan Chicken – with cauliflower, zucchini and bell pepper strips
Greek Roasted Chicken
- 3 pound whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 large lemon (quartered)
- 1 bulb garlic (separated and peeled)
- 1 small white onion (peeled and quartered)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
- sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken in a small roasting pan.
- Rub olive oil over the top of the chicken, messaging into the skin. Sprinkle with herbs, salt and pepper.
- Place half of the garlic, onion, and lemon inside the chicken. Tie the legs together with twine to hold everything together.
- Place remaining garlic, onion, and lemon around the chicken.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, until thermometer reaches 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from oven, and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
That is one good looking bird, but how could it not be… it’s Greek.
OH that looks so juicy and full of wonderful flavor!!
what a flavorful roast
Oh my gosh!! This sounds so moist and flavorful, Lisa! Perfect for Sunday!
This chicken looks gorgeous!
This is one perfect looking chicken! I’ve actually never made a whole chicken before but this makes me want to give it a try!
Lisa, this looks fantastic. On Sunday nights from about October to March I make a roasted chicken for dinner so I’ll be giving this one a try!
Ok, Lisa, one word – amazing! This looks so delicious I wish I could pull it off the screen! 🙂 Pinned and sharing!
This chicken look so delicious! I love Greek chicken because I love chicken with lemon. This looks awesome…thanks for sharing!
Greek food is sort of a favorite of mine. This reminds me of home! This looks so flavorful! Wish I could just dig in!
That’s one fine looking bird, Lisa! I too love the Pastitsio. I also love the Moussaka. YUM YUM YUM.
Great recipe, Lisa. Pinned and sharing on FB this week!
Roast chicken is one of my all-time favourite dishes, but I’ve never tried it Greek-style before. Pinning! 🙂
Wow realy nice crust.
This is one awesome looking chicken! I love those Greek flavors. Delicious!
Can this be done in the IP like INSTANT POT FAUX-TISSERIE CHICKEN?