This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Get ready to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a boozy shamrock shake! This festive drink is a boozy twist on the traditional favorite, combining creamy ice cream and peppermint schnapps for a delicious and indulgent treat.
Whether you’re looking for a traditional or vegan version, this boozy shamrock shake is sure to be the perfect way to celebrate the luck of the Irish!
Check out this Irish Pub Food page for even more delicious Irish food and cocktail recipes.
I originally shared this recipe February 2015. Updated March 2023.
Whenever I see a recipe that calls for peppermint extract, my brain sees peppermint schnapps!! Not for the alcohol content, but for the intense mint flavor. Not that I don’t enjoy the delicious kick that it adds to this adult milkshake!
Ingredients you will need
- For the vegan option you can use homemade Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream or store bought, and canned, full-fat coconut milk (make sure you shake the can before you open it).
- For the traditional version use your favorite vanilla ice cream and whole milk.
- High-quality peppermint schnapps will give you the smoothest flavor. I like 101 Peppermint Thunder, but there are many good options available.
- A few drops of green food coloring gives you a nice, even color.
- Whipped cream – this can be whipped coconut cream, rice whip, or regular whipped cream.
- Green decorative sprinkles or shamrocks give it a festive look.
Be sure to check out the detailed printable recipe card below
They say that a pictures says a thousand words, well I only needed that photo to say one…..Vegan! I have included instructions for both in the recipe card.
How to make a Boozy Shamrock Shake
Allow ice cream to sit out on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes to soften before using.
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour into 1 large glass with 2 straws, or 2 smaller glasses and top with whipped cream and decorative sprinkles and a maraschino cherry.
Those decorative straws are really cute and great for photos, but they are completely useless to actually drink with!! Do yourself a favor and grab a real straw!!
The best part about this drink, you don’t have to wait until St. Patrick’s Day. You can make this fun cocktail anytime of year!
Tools used to create this recipe
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can keep bringing you more delicious recipes!
- I used a 14.75 ounce water Goblet in these photos. In reality, this shake should be divided into two smaller glasses.
- Ninja Blender – the KitchenAid blender shown above died.
- Mint Green Food Coloring
- Green Jimmies or St. Patrick’s Day Sprinkle Mix
More St. Patrick’s Day cocktail recipes
- Boozy Shamrock Shake Cupcakes – the baked version of this cocktail
- Irish Mule
- Jameson & Ginger Cocktail
- Polyjuice Potion – green spiked sherbet punch, ignore the name
- Traditional Irish Coffee
- Irish Iced Coffee with Guinness and Baileys Irish Cream
If you love this recipe, please rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and to help other readers in our community!
Boozy Shamrock Shake
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream softened – or coconut milk ice cream
- .33 cup whole milk or full-fat coconut milk in a can
- mint green food coloring add as many as needed
- 4 tablespoons peppermint schnapps I used 101 proof
- whipped cream or coconut whipped cream
- decorative sprinkles
- maraschino cherries to garnish, if desired
- Allow ice cream to soften on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into one large glass or divide between four smaller glasses. Top with whipped cream and decorative sprinkles. Serve with a straw
- For a non-alcoholic version, substitute 1 to 2 teaspoons of pure peppermint extract, or use mint chip ice cream and omit the schnapps.
- Adjust the thickness by adding more or less milk to achieve your desired consistency.