Boozy Shamrock Shake
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Last Updated on March 1, 2023 by Lisa Johnson
Get ready to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a boozy shamrock shake! This festive drink is a boozy twist on the traditional favorite, combining creamy ice cream and peppermint schnapps for a delicious and indulgent treat.
Whether you’re looking for a traditional or vegan version, this boozy shamrock shake is sure to be the perfect way to celebrate the luck of the Irish!
Check out this Irish Pub Food page for even more delicious Irish food and cocktail recipes.
I originally shared this recipe February 2015. Updated March 2023.
Whenever I see a recipe that calls for peppermint extract, my brain sees peppermint schnapps!! Not for the alcohol content, but for the intense mint flavor. Not that I don’t enjoy the delicious kick that it adds to this adult milkshake!
Ingredients you will need
- For the vegan option you can use homemade Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream or store bought, and canned, full-fat coconut milk (make sure you shake the can before you open it).
- For the traditional version use your favorite vanilla ice cream and whole milk.
- High-quality peppermint schnapps will give you the smoothest flavor. I like 101 Peppermint Thunder, but there are many good options available.
- A few drops of green food coloring gives you a nice, even color.
- Whipped cream – this can be whipped coconut cream, rice whip, or regular whipped cream.
- Green decorative sprinkles or shamrocks give it a festive look.
Be sure to check out the detailed printable recipe card below
They say that a pictures says a thousand words, well I only needed that photo to say one…..Vegan! I have included instructions for both in the recipe card.
How to make a Boozy Shamrock Shake
Allow ice cream to sit out on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes to soften before using.
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Pour into 1 large glass with 2 straws, or 2 smaller glasses and top with whipped cream and decorative sprinkles and a maraschino cherry.
Those decorative straws are really cute and great for photos, but they are completely useless to actually drink with!! Do yourself a favor and grab a real straw!!
The best part about this drink, you don’t have to wait until St. Patrick’s Day. You can make this fun cocktail anytime of year!
Tools used to create this recipe
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can keep bringing you more delicious recipes!
- I used a 14.75 ounce water Goblet in these photos. In reality, this shake should be divided into two smaller glasses.
- Ninja Blender – the KitchenAid blender shown above died.
- Mint Green Food Coloring
- Green Jimmies or St. Patrick’s Day Sprinkle Mix
More St. Patrick’s Day cocktail recipes
- Boozy Shamrock Shake Cupcakes – the baked version of this cocktail
- Irish Mule
- Jameson & Ginger Cocktail
- Polyjuice Potion – green spiked sherbet punch, ignore the name
- Traditional Irish Coffee
- Irish Iced Coffee with Guinness and Baileys Irish Cream
If you love this recipe, please rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and to help other readers in our community!
Boozy Shamrock Shake
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream softened – or coconut milk ice cream
- .33 cup whole milk or full-fat coconut milk in a can
- mint green food coloring add as many as needed
- 4 tablespoons peppermint schnapps I used 101 proof
- whipped cream or coconut whipped cream
- decorative sprinkles
- maraschino cherries to garnish, if desired
- Allow ice cream to soften on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into one large glass or divide between four smaller glasses. Top with whipped cream and decorative sprinkles. Serve with a straw
- For a non-alcoholic version, substitute 1 to 2 teaspoons of pure peppermint extract, or use mint chip ice cream and omit the schnapps.
- Adjust the thickness by adding more or less milk to achieve your desired consistency.
Mmm, I’m liking my lips! This sounds wonderful. What a fun treat for St. Patrick’s Day. Please come share your blog posts over at the Home Matters Linky Party! We’d love to have you for a visit.
Life With Lorelai
So the cookie balls didn’t turn out, but hey, you’ve got this! This shake sounds awesome, Lisa, and pinning! 🙂
Ptttht. Official serving sizes. P’shaw….
Great idea…Didn’t even think about adding peppermint schnapps, I’ll have to try this! 🙂
Thank you Marissa. I am turning into the Queen of Booze around here, you just never know where I will sneak it in next! 😉
I’ve totally had those days in the kitchen…..good for you for just scrapping it and moving on! This one looks like a definite WIN!
Thank you Cathy. 🙂 This IS a WIN, crazy delicious WIN!!
Glad you had this delicious drink to make up for the cookies 😉 Sounds like a tasty consolation prize! Found this deliciousness at Lou Lou Girls, thank you for sharing. Pinning!
This drink looks totally yummy!!! Sorry the cookies didn’t work out, but it looks like this drink more than made up for that! :o) Definitely pinned!
Thank you Debi, I actually think this shake turned out better than what I was expecting with the cookies! 🙂
You have no idea how excited I was when I saw the word “Vegan”! I used to LOVE shamrock shakes, and who doesn’t love a good cocktail? I am totally making this this week. Thank you!
You are so welcome Jen!! Enjoy! 🙂
Yum! This looks amazing. I definitely need to make this for St. Paddy’s Day!
Thank you Ginnie! 🙂
Are you serious right now!? 🙂 This looks soo good. And I’m definitely going to check out some of those ice cream recipes too. Yummy! Glad I came across your blog!
I am totally serious, Kyla…and it’s seriously delicious! I am so glad that you came across my blog as well, welcome. 🙂
I will take one (or two!) of those!!! 🙂
This is one of those drinks that makes St. Patrick’s Day so great!
Yum, I’m a big shake fan, this is a great one for St Patrick’s Day!
Thank you so much Kaylene! 🙂
Pinned this cuz it looks so yummy! Definitely gonna give it a try 😀
Thanks for sharing!
Thank you Giselle! 🙂
What a great idea, I love that you used coconut ice cream and milk. Looks yummy!
Thank you Celeste. I love when my lactose intolerance turns into a vegan recipe! 😉
GOOD LAWD!! Coconut ice cream and some mint? I am in love!
Thank you so much Zainab, it’s crazy good!!
This looks very tasty. I normally run from green drinks and food but not this! Linking up from SITS Link Up.
Thank you Aimee! You definitely don’t want to run away from this drink, it’s really good. 🙂
Yum, I want one! This sounds so good and I love the schnapps addition!. Plus, so cute! I would love if you would share this at my blog party, Celebrate It! It is all about celebrating the everyday!
This is officially my favorite St. Patrick’s day recipe so far! I’m kinda glad your cookies didn’t work out so that it freed you up to make this instead. I am heading to the store TODAY to get some Bailey’s so I can “practice” this recipe a few times before St. Patrick’s Day (my kids had an entire week off due to snow days–I need this!). Thank you so much for linking up your recipe at This Is How We Roll Thursday.
Cheers!!! We absolutely LOVE this fantastic drink!!!!! It will be featured at this weeks Munching Mondays!! CONGRATS!!!! xoxo Nic
Thank you so much, Nic – I am so excited!!
Oh how yummy….I can’t wait to make this on St. Patty’s Day! Thanks for sharing at The Project Stash!
Thank you so much Marilyn, enjoy! 🙂
Love the color and the adorable shamrock sprinkles. Oh fun is the color of the punch, wow!! So great that you shared your experience with a failed recipe as well, thanks! 🙂
Thanks so much Diana! 🙂
This looks yummy! Just stopping by to let you know your shamrock shake is featured in a St. Patrick’s Day roundup over at The Pin Junkie.
This looks so yummy, I want to drink my screen! I would love it if you stopped by and linked up at Totally Terrific Tuesday!! Have a wonderful weekend! Pinned and shared!
WOW! Looks great and just my type to try out. Greetings from Dubai and have great day!
The picture alone has me hooked! Can’t wait to try it!