I can now say that I have been to Tiffin, Iowa. I am not sure how I ended up there, but I drove through this afternoon on my way to Coralville. I needed to go down to the Amana Colonies to buy additional Christmas ornaments for my daughter’s host families in Belgium. Of course they were sold out 🙁 I was on my way to the Tanger Outlet Mall in Williamsburg, and apparently made a wrong turn. Time to go home and make a healthy Cobb Salad for dinner, you’ll see why in a minute…..
I never made it to Williamsburg, but I did find myself at the Coral Ridge Mall in Coralville. It is days like today that I really miss living in a big city. I could not find anything that I was looking for. No Iowa theme ornaments. No Le Creuset Coquettes in Caribbean Blue. No Fiesta Ware pie plate in Chartreuse or Turquoise. I love how the sales people always tell me that what I am looking for does not exist. I proceed to tell them that I have already found the item on ebay, but do not want to pay the shipping charges. They look it up in the book and low and behold…Oh, it does come in that color! We just didn’t get any. ARRRGH
I did manage to find a National Geographic Scenes of America calendar to send. I may have found a couple of new cookbooks while in Barnes and Noble. Sadly the highlight of my day was the soft pretzel bites I ate on the drive home! Luckily Cobb Salad is incredibly easy to make when your day is a disaster and you need something fast!!
How to make a Cobb Salad:
Cook the bacon in a skillet on medium heat until crispy on both sides. Remove from skillet and place on paper towels to drain. Once cooled, chop into bite sized pieces.
Hard boil eggs. Allow to cool, peel, and dice.
Wash lettuces and drain in a colander. Cut into bite sized pieces and mix with parsley and green onions. Place on a large platter or in a decorative bowl.
Arrange chicken, avocado, tomato, and eggs over lettuce.
Serve with dressing on the side.
Salad Dressing recipes to serve with your Cobb Salad:
Homemade Ranch Dressing – instructions for dairy-free and regular
Chipotle Ranch Dressing – if you want to spice things up!
Hot Bacon Dressing – say yes!!
- A traditional Cobb Salad would also include Blue Cheese, but I am not a fan so it is not pictured on my salad. I did include it in the recipe below
- Instant Pot Faux-tisserie Chicken is a fast way to make chicken for your salads
- You can also make super easy to peel Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
I also have a Clean Cobb Salad for a healthier spin on this old classic, it has Paleo options as well. 🙂
- 6 slices uncured bacon
- 3 large eggs (hard boiled)
- 1 head romaine lettuce (torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 head Boston lettuce (torn into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/2 bunch Italian parsley (choppped)
- 1 bunch green onions (green parts only - chopped)
- 1 ripe avocado (diced)
- 2 cups shredded chicken (leftover or rotisserie is perfect)
- 2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- Cook the bacon in a skillet on medium heat until crispy on both sides. Remove from skillet and place on paper towels to drain. Once cooled, chop into bite sized pieces.
- Hard boil eggs. Allow to cool, peel, and dice.
- Wash lettuces and drain in a colander. Cut into bite sized pieces and mix with parsley and green onions. Place on a large platter or in a decorative bowl.
- Arrange chicken, avocado, tomato, blue cheese, and eggs over lettuces.
- Serve with dressing on the side.