This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
I told you a few weeks ago that Sausage Rolls are a mandatory holiday tradition in our family. I grew up with pork sausage wrapped in pie crust, but I have seen many versions with puff pastry…..it was time to investigate…..
How to make sausage rolls:
Mix MSG free organic pork sausage with ground sage…..
that is one of my mom’s little tricks to give it more flavor. I had already tried this sausage in the past, and knew that it was pretty bland so this was the perfect solution. I defrosted a box of puff pastry, rolled it to even it out, and cut it into squares…..
Warning – do not leave your puff pastry on the counter to defrost, it will defrost too much and become sticky and difficult to unfold! Do not worry, it’s dough and can be smooshed into place if necessary.
Place sausage in the center of each square…..
then fold over and press edges together to seal…..
The smaller sized rolls are the perfect size for appetizers, the larger ones are perfect for a holiday breakfast. Slash the top of the pastry so the heat can escape, give them a quick brush with egg wash and then bake…..
The big difference between the Pork Sausage Rolls and the Turkey Sausage Rolls, is the amount of grease that the pork sausage produces. As soon as they come out of the oven, I transfer them to a cooking rack to allow them to drain…..
I decided to crimp the edges with a fork on half of them. They looked kind of cool, but they did not puff up as much…..
No matter how they look, they are quite addictive!
- Leaner pork sausage will not produce as much grease as mine did.
This was the first time that I had made sausage rolls with puff pastry, I usually use pie crust dough which is quite delicious as well I might add!! I now have an amazing sausage roll recipe listed below with even more flavor that you should try as well.
more delicious appetizer recipes:
- 1 pound organic pork sausage or substitute turkey sausage
- 1 Tablespoon ground sage
- 1 package frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Mix sausage with ground sage. Set aside.
- Roll out puff pastry to even out creases. Cut pastry along the creases, (you can still see them) then again in the opposite direction to form squares.
- Place 1 - 2 Tablespoons of sausage in the center of each square, depending on the size of your squares.
- Fold pastry over sausage and press edges together. Brush with egg wash and cut slits in the top of the pastry to vent.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.