This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
I know, I know.....you're trying to eat healthy, but it's time for another Dessert Challenge! This month's ingredients are Cocoa (or chocolate pudding) and Marshmallows. I will be honest with you, I really struggled with this one. I must have gone through 5 or 6 different recipe ideas until I finally chose to make these Peppermint Hot Chocolate Brownies.
My first thought was S'mores, so I ran through pies, and cookies. Absolute insanity! While I was searching for the miniature marshmallows in the pantry, I came across some Starbucks Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix.....BINGO! If it is good enough to use in my morning mocha, it will definitely be a delicious addition to brownies!
If you do not have peppermint hot cocoa mix, you could use any mix that you have on hand. I also found a salted caramel hot cocoa mix, but it contained milk. 🙁
This hot cocoa mix has crushed peppermint candies in it.^^^How fun is that?
How to make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Brownies:
Beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and beat until well combined.....
Add the extract and stir in the dry ingredients.....
Pour into a prepared baking pan, and bake. Do Not Over Bake! I was on the phone and mine got a bit over cooked. I prefer them to be gooey, and fudgy, but they were still delicious.....
When the brownies are done, remove them from the oven and top with marshmallows.....
Return to the oven until the marshmallows puff up.....
Allow to cool.....if you can.....cut and serve.
More delicious chocolate and marshmallow dessert recipes:
Double Chocolate Hot Cacao Mix - in case you would like to make your own mix!
Peppermint Hot Chocolate Brownies
- ¾ cups unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup peppermint hot chocolate mix I used Starbucks
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8-inch square baking pan with baking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, continuing to beat to combine. Add the peppermint extract.
- Stir in the flour, cocoa, peppermint hot chocolate, and salt.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 - 30 minutes until set, but still slightly shiny.
- Remove from the oven and top with marshmallows. Return to the oven until until marshmallows puff, about 2 minutes.
- Allow brownies to cool, cut, and serve.