This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
Yes, you have seen this photo before. I created this Paleo Chicken Stir Fry as a contributor post for Amber at Dessert Now, Dinner Later! back on January 12th, as a part of “Healthy Food, Healthy You” month. This meal was way to delicious to not bring back over here and share with all of my friends and followers…..
Even though I eliminated most processed foods from my diet over 9 years ago, there is always room for improvement. This year I am focusing on eating more vegetables, and eliminating the remainder of those processed foods. My quest for low-carb, unprocessed foods led me to several paleo websites. The concept is actually quite intriguing, so I decided to give it a try and share this delicious Paleo Chicken Stir Fry with you. Don’t run away just yet, you can very easily make this stir-fry non-paleo as well.
What is the Paleo Diet?
The Paleo diet in a nutshell, is food in it’s purest form…..like a caveman would have eaten. No processed oils, grains, soy products, or starchy vegetables. I simply substituted coconut aminos for soy sauce, tapioca flour for the cornstarch, and safflower oil for the canola oil. See, that wasn’t so painful. The results were actually better than I expected. Coconut aminos are not as salty as soy sauce, so the overall taste of this dish is lighter and the vegetables are allowed to shine. Serve it with Cauliflower Rice, and you have the perfect low-carb, healthy meal without sacrificing any of the flavors that you love.
How to make Paleo Chicken Stir Fry:
Let’s start by making the sauce, and then setting it aside until we need it…..
Now we need to peel and finely mince the fresh ginger…..
To get the onions to cook quickly, cut them into very thin slices…..
In order to get the broccoli and carrots to cook completely, I usually cook them a bit before hand. Place in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon of water, cover bowl, and heat on HIGH for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside…..
Now heat the oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and heat for one minute…..
Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bell peppers and cook for an additional 2 minutes…..
Push the vegetables to the side of the pan, and add the chicken strips…..
Cook stirring occasionally until cooked through and no longer pink. Add the broccoli and carrots to the pan, stir to combine…..
Pour in the sauce mixture and stir to thoroughly coat. Bring sauce to a boil, and remove from heat…..
Garnish with sesame oil and sesame seeds and serve…..
I have since been sucked back into the blogging vortex known as “Holiday Foods” and have deviated a bit from my original goals, but there is always time to get back on track. It is only March 1st after all. 😉
More delicious paleo recipes:
- Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Shrimp Fried Rice
- Instant Pot Chinese Garlic Chicken
- Pesto Chicken Salad
- Korean BBQ Steak Tips
- Paleo Jambalaya
Paleo Chicken Stir Fry
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 4 Tablespoons coconut aminos (can substitute soy sauce for non-paleo)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (omit if using soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons tapioca flour (can substitute cornstarch)
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 6 large cloves garlic (smashed and finely chopped)
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger root (peeled and finely minced)
- 1 small yellow onion (sliced into very thin strips)
- 1 red bell pepper (cleaned, seeded, and cut into thin strips)
- 1 large head broccoli floret (cut into bite sized pieces and lightly cooked*)
- 3 large carrots (sliced and lightly cooked*)
- 1 pound chicken breasts (cut into thin 2" long strips)
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame oil (garnish)
- 2 Tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (garnish)
- In a small bowl, whisk together chicken stock, coconut aminos, slat, pepper, pepper flakes, and tapioca starch. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the ginger and garlic and heat for one minute.
- Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bell pepper and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Push vegetables to the side of the pan, and add the chicken strips. Cook stirring occasionally until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add the broccoli and carrots to the pan, stir to combine.
- Pour in the sauce mixture and stir to combine. Bring sauce to a boil, and removed from heat.
- Serve with cauliflower rice, and sprinkle with sesame oil and sesame seeds.
- Place broccoli florets and carrots in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1 Tablespoon of water, cover bowl, and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- If you decided to use soy sauce, eliminate the teaspoon of salt.