This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
This homemade Vegan Chocolate Walnut Fudge Ice Cream recipe is amazing! It is a healthier version of everyone’s favorite guilty pleasure made with coconut milk, cocoa, and a delicious fudge swirl!
What makes this ice cream healthier?
My brain was still in Paleo mode, so I did not use traditional sugar in this recipe. Instead, I decided to give raw coconut nectar a try. It has a low glycemic index, non-GMO, vegan, and gluten-free. Coconut Nectar has a deep, barely sweet flavor. If you like super sweet ice cream, stick to honey or maple syrup.
Dark chocolate contain antioxidants that help protect the brain, so I used cocoa powder in the ice cream and dark chocolate chips in the ganache/fudge swirl.
Walnuts are high in Vitamin E, which helps reduce memory loss. So I guess we could call this ice cream “brain food”, and it should be eaten daily!
How to make Vegan Chocolate Walnut Fudge Ice Cream:
Start by whipping the coconut milk until it is light and fluffy.
Add the sweetener and cocoa powder, and beat until well combined.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Pour chilled mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker.
Process according to the manufacturer’s instructions (about 15 minutes) until mixture thickens. Pour the chopped walnuts in, and continue processing until walnuts are fully incorporated.
Pour into a freezer safe container, and freeze for one hour.
To make the ganache/fudge swirl, heat chocolate chips, coconut milk, and butter in the microwave in 15 second increments until smooth and melted.
Remove ice cream from the freezer and stir together.
Drizzle the ganache/fudge over the ice cream.
Swirl fudge with a spoon or knife.
Return to the freezer for 1 hour for “soft serve”, or 2+ hours for “hard serve” ice cream. The longer this ice cream is in the freezer, the harder it will get. You may need to leave on the counter to soften before serving.
More Aries meal recipes:
Tools used to create this recipe:
- Ice Cream Maker – this is the new version, mine is almost 20 years old.
- Freezer Container
- Coconut Milk
- Coconut Nectar
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can keep bringing you more delicious recipes!
More delicious ice cream recipes:
- Lemon Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Pistachio Ice Cream
- Tiramisu Ice Cream
- Limoncello Tiramisu Ice Cream
If you love this recipe, please rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and to help other readers in our community!
Vegan Chocolate Walnut Fudge Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker
For the Ice Cream
- 27 ounces full-fat coconut milk Two 13.5 ounce cans – shake before opening
- 0.5 cup coconut nectar or maple syrup
- 0.5 cup unsweetened cocoa powder I used Ghirardelli
- 0.5 cup chopped walnuts
For the Fudge Swirl
- .33 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk can
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy butter or coconut oil
- Beat the coconut milk with a mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut nectar, cocoa powder and beat until well combined.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Pour mixture into the freezer bowl of an ice cream maker, and process as per manufacturer’s directions, about 15 minutes for soft serve consistency.
- Pour the chopped walnuts into the machine and continue processing until incorporated.
- Pour ice cream into a freezer safe bowl and freeze for 1 hour.
- Heat the chocolate chips, coconut milk and butter in the microwave for 15 seconds. Stir to combine. Continue heating in 15 second increments until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Remove the ice cream from freezer and stir. Drizzle the chocolate ganache/fudge over the top of the ice cream. Gently swirl with a spoon or knife.
- Return to the freezer to set, about an hour for soft ice cream or 2 to 3 hours for hard serve ice cream.