This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
There is nothing more comforting, than a bowl of thick, rich, and creamy Homemade Chocolate Pudding! I’m talking about REAL pudding, made from scratch and cooked on the stove. No boxes, no additives, and no weird aftertaste. Just good old homemade chocolate pudding like our grandmothers made…..
Okay, my grandmother would have never made her pudding with coconut milk, but I don’t have a choice. Shocked? Yes, that pudding right there is dairy-free!! I have made it both ways, in fact it is the filling for my Chocolate Cream Pie, so I opted to go ahead and not name it dairy-free….it’s that good….everyone needs to try it! 😉
The number one rule to make this homemade chocolate pudding, you MUST have all of the ingredients ready BEFORE you start!
It’s not difficult to make, but you don’t want to overcook the pudding in any of the individual steps. Just go with it, it’s the way the recipe was written.
How to make stove-top chocolate pudding:
Mix sugar, flour, and salt together in the top of a double – boiler OR in a large stainless steel bowl…..
Stir in the milk and cream, or half & half, or coconut milks, and cook over simmering water for 15 minutes, stirring constantly until thick…..
No fancy equipment here folks. 😉 Gradually add a small amount of hot mixture to a small bowl with the 3 egg yolks, whipping to prevent eggs from scrambling…..
Chef’s refer to this as “tempering” the eggs. Whisk the egg mixture into the original mixture in the large bowl, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and add the chocolate, stirring to combine…..
Remember, this bowl is REALLY HOT!! Protect your hands and your work surface from the heat. Add the vanilla and butter, stir to combine…..
Your homemade chocolate pudding will already be thick and creamy…..
You can eat it while it is hot, if you want to, but it’s best to cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to completely cool. Then you can top it with Coconut Whipped Cream, or whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles if you’re feeling festive…..
Oh, don’t forget the spoon…..
It’s also fun to serve with Pie Crust Spoons…..
I won’t lie, this pudding is very rich…but oh so worth it!
More delicious chocolate dessert recipes:
- Chocolate Martini Mousse
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Mini Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Cake
In a bowl, in a pie crust, you decide.
Homemade Chocolate Pudding
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour 1/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups whole milk coconut or Cashew milk (box)
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream coconut milk (in a can-shaken before opening)
- 3 large egg yolks beaten
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter non-dairy butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ ounces unsweetened chocolate
Have all ingredients ready!
- Mix sugar, flour, and salt together in the top of a double - boiler OR in a large stainless steel bowl.
- Stir in milk and cream.
- Cook over hot water for 15 minutes, stirring constantly until thick.
- Add a small amount of hot mixture to a small bowl with the 3 egg yolks, whipping to prevent eggs from scrambling.
- Whisk the egg mixture into the large bowl and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the chocolate, stirring to combine.
- Add the vanilla and butter, stir.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- You can also substitute 3 cups of half & half for the milk and cream.
- Nutrition Facts are calculated using dairy products.