This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
This all-purpose Mexican seasoning recipe is an easy to make spice blend that is perfect for seasoning chicken, shrimp, steak, and salmon. It is pretty much perfect on everything!
This spice mix adds a little bit of extra flavor when salt and pepper alone just won't cut it.
What is Mexican Seasoning made of?
- Oregano is the base of this spice blend. You can use whole leaves or ground, I have used both in the past.
- Chili powder - basic chili powder is actually a blend of dried chiles and other spices, so it would be best not to substitute with ancho or chipotle.
- Onion and garlic powders.
- Ground cumin and sea salt.
- A pinch of cloves for a bit of added flavor. (1/8th teaspoon)
Looking for delicious Instant Pot Recipes? Sign up for a FREE Top 10 Instant Pot Recipes e-Book and receive future recipes delivered to your inbox!
How to make Mexican Seasoning:
Measure all of the individual spices and pour them into a bowl.
Stir the spices together to combine.
Store in a glass jar or zipper topped bag.
How to use your seasoning mix:
This seasoning blend is so versatile, you can use it to season chicken thighs: (recipe coming soon)
Or sprinkle it on shrimp before you skewer and grill them for Shrimp Tostadas. (recipe coming soon)
It is also the perfect rub for your steaks, whether you grill them or cook them on the stove.
Like I said, I pretty much sprinkle it on everything!
Additional Seasoning recipes:
- Taco Seasoning - chili powder and cumin based with no oregano.
- Simple Fajita Seasoning - has coriander and cinnamon.
- Southwest Seasoning - even amounts of spices with no salt or oregano.
- Cowboy Seasoning Rub - very similar, but larger quantity.
- Cafe Mocha Dry Rub - includes ground coffee beans and cocoa powder.
- Tandoori Spice Mix - curry powder, garam masala, and cardamom are included.
Tools used to create this spice blend:
You can usually find Tampico Mexican spices in larger grocery stores.
- Ground Mexican Oregano or Whole Oregano Leaves
- Chile Powder
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Cloves
- Sea Salt
- Small Glass Storage Jar
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can keep bringing you more delicious recipes!
More delicious Mexican recipes:
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Fish Tacos would be delicious with this seasoning mix.
- Instant Pot Spanish Rice
- Grilled Steak Burritos
- Instant Pot Red Chile Pork Tamales
- Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
If you love this recipe, please rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and to help other readers in our community!
Mexican Seasoning Recipe
- .25 cup oregano leaves lightly packed
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- .13 teaspoon ground cloves (1/8 teaspoon)
- Measure all of the individual spices and pour them into a bowl.
- Stir the spices together to combine.
- Store in a glass jar or zipper topped bag.
- Chili powder is actually a blend of dried chiles and other spices, so it would be best not to substitute with straight ancho or chipotle powders. You could always add them if you like.
- This recipe makes approximately 10 tablespoons spice mix.