Grinch Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
These gooey Grinch Marshmallow Popcorn Balls are the perfect holiday treat that is super simple to make. Fresh popped popcorn, marshmallows, butter, green coloring are molded into these fun balls then topped with a heart shaped jelly beans and festive green sprinkles!
Check out Flavored Popcorn Recipes for even more delicious popcorn flavors!
If you can make Rice Krispie Treats, you can make these kid-friendly marshmallow popcorn balls. Traditional popcorn balls made with caramelized sugar are hard and crunchy, this marshmallow version stays nice soft – so no one cracks a tooth!
What you will need
- Popcorn – Instant Pot Popcorn, popped in the microwave or on top of the stove, whichever you prefer.
- Marshmallows – you will need 40 large or a 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows.
- Butter – blends with the marshmallows to create the perfect, pourable consistency, and keeps the marshmallow from sticking to your hands while forming into balls.
- Pure vanilla extract – gives this treat a nice, subtle flavor. Feel free to add peppermint as well.
- Electric Green gel food color creates the perfect Grinch green.
- Red heart jelly beans – these hearts are soft enough to push into the popcorn balls without breaking, and they taste good too.
- Green jimmies – these green sprinkles add a bit more texture and color to tie the whole Grinch theme together!
- You will also need a LARGE mixing bowl, silicone spatula, wax paper, and a baking sheet.
Be sure to check out the detailed printable recipe card below
Microwave Method: Place one-third cup of popcorn kernels in a brown lunch bag and microwave for 3.5 minutes, or use the popcorn button. I usually make two batches and snack on the leftovers.
How to make Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
Place popped popcorn in a large bowl. Set aside.
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and cook until completely melted and smooth, stirring constantly.
Once melted, stir in the green coloring and vanilla.
Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn.
Gently toss to evenly coat the popcorn. Allow to cool slightly, coat your hands with butter or cooking spray, and grab a handful of popcorn mixture and shape into ten, 3-inch balls about the size of a baseball.
Place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and immediately press a heart into the center of each ball and sprinkle with green jimmies.
Let popcorn balls sit until firm before serving.
Stovetop Method: Pour 3 tablespoons of oil and 0.5-cup of popcorn kernels into a 4-quart pot. Cover pot with lid leaving it slightly ajar so the steam can escape. Cook popcorn over medium heat shaking the pan frequently. When popping slows, remove the the pot from heat.
Change up the gel coloring and sprinkles to match the season. The possibilities are endless!!
- Substitute pink coloring for the green for Valentine’s Day and sprinkle with red jimmies.
- Use pastel colors and egg sprinkles for Easter.
- Do not add any coloring, coat the tops with melted white chocolate, and add candy eyes to make Halloween ghosts.
- Mix with red, white and blue jimmies and M&Ms for a patriotic treat.
Wrap each popcorn ball tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 5 days. The longer you store them, the chewier they become.
Tools used to create this recipe
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can keep bringing you more delicious recipes!
- 32-cup Thatsa Bowl – or any extra-large bowl.
- 7.25 Quart Dutch Oven
- Electric Green Gel Food Coloring
- Baking Sheet
- Silicone Spoonula
- Heart Jelly Beans – you will need to pick out the red ones and find another use for the pink ones.
- Green Jimmies Sprinkles
More Grinch themed recipes
- Chocolate Covered Grinch Popcorn
- Grinch Puppy Chow
- Grinch Snowball Cookies with pistachios and dried-cranberries
- Grinch Mac and Cheese Bites
- Naughty or Nice Grinch Hot Chocolate
Type “grinch” into the search bar to find all of the fun Grinch recipes on this site!
If you love this recipe, please rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and to help other readers in our community!
Grinch Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
- Large Pot or Dutch Oven
- 12 cups popped popcorn with unpopped kernels removed – about 0.5 cup of kernels
- .25 cup butter plus more for shaping
- 40 regular marshmallows or one 10-ounce bag of mini marshmallows
- 5 drops electric green gel food color
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place popped popcorn in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows and cook until completely melted and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Once melted, stir in the green coloring and vanilla. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn.
- Gently toss to evenly coat the popcorn. Allow to cool slightly, coat your hands with butter or cooking spray, and grab a handful of popcorn mixture and shape into ten, 3-inch balls about the size of a baseball.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and immediately press a heart into the center of each ball and sprinkle with green jimmies.
- Let popcorn balls sit until firm before serving.
- To store: wrap each popcorn ball tightly with plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 5 days. The longer you store them, the chewier they become.
- See post for popping methods and seasonal recipe modifications.