This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
This Honey Lemon Popcorn recipe is easy to make with a tangy, sweet, and refreshing taste. It is perfect sweet snack any time of year while watching movies or hanging out by the pool!
Check out Flavored Popcorn Recipes for even more delicious popcorn flavors and ideas!
This honey lemon popcorn was originally part of a movie night themed post for a DVD release in 2015. The names of the popcorn went along with the characters names including wasabi popcorn and white chocolate popcorn with candy coated chocolate eyes. All three recipes have been given an update, new images, and posts of their own.
What does honey lemon popcorn taste like?
Honey lemon popcorn is basically a caramel popcorn recipe made with granulated sugar and lemon oil flavoring instead of brown sugar. This gives the popcorn a crisp outside shell with a punch of honey and lemon flavor. Trust me, it is addictive!
What you will need
- Popcorn – popped in the microwave, Instant Pot Popcorn, or on top of the stove, whichever you prefer.
- Granulated sugar
- Honey – this is the predominant flavor so pick a “raw” honey that is unfiltered and has a floral, herbal flavor profile that you enjoy.
- Unsalted butter
- Baking soda
- Lemon Oil flavoring – oil-based flavoring has a purer, more intense flavor than grocery store extract which contains water.
Be sure to check out the detailed printable recipe card below
Microwave Method: Place one-third cup of popcorn kernels in a brown lunch bag and microwave for 3.5 minutes, or use the popcorn button. I usually make two batches and snack on the leftovers.
How to make honey lemon popcorn
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner, set aside.
Place the sugar, butter, and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Boil without stirring for 5 minutes, or until it reaches 235 degreesF for a softer, chewier popcorn or 250 degreesF for a harder, crispier bite.
Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda and lemon oil flavoring.
The chemical reaction will cause the caramel to bubble and foam up.
Place popcorn in a very large bowl, and pour the mixture over. Stir until completely coated.
Spread popcorn mixture out evenly on a prepared baking sheet. Place in a preheated 200 degree oven for one hour, carefully stirring every 15 minutes to evenly coat the popcorn.
Remove from oven and allow popcorn to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Be careful, it is a really sticky, and HOT! Break apart into pieces and serve.
Stovetop Method: Pour 3 tablespoons of oil and 0.5-cup of popcorn kernels into a 4-quart pot. Cover pot with lid leaving it slightly ajar so the steam can escape. Cook popcorn over medium heat shaking the pan frequently. When popping slows, remove the the pot from heat.
Caramel corn is made by creating a sugar solution or syrup that is heated until it browns and becomes thick, producing a caramelized candy syrup. While this honey lemon popcorn is not called caramel corn, it is made and stored in the same way.
Store popcorn in an airtight container or zipper top bag (with all the air squeezed out) at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks.
When you add baking soda to the caramel syrup it bubbles up creating tiny air bubbles that aerate the syrup and prevent it from being too thick and dense.
Tools used to create this recipe
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can keep bringing you more delicious recipes!
- Gourmet Yellow Popcorn
- 8 Quart Stainless Steel Bowl
- Silicone Spoonula
- 2.5 Quart Saucepan
- Baking Sheet
- Silicone Baking Mat
- LorAnn Lemon Oil Flavoring
If you love this recipe, please rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and to help other readers in our community!
Honey Lemon Popcorn
- Medium Saucepan
- 32-Cup Bowl metal or glass works best
- Baking Sheet with silicone baking mat
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 0.5 cup honey
- .33 cup unsalted butter
- 0.5 teaspoon baking soda
- .25 teaspoon lemon oil flavoring or 0.5 teaspoon lemon extract
- 12 cup popped popcorn unpopped kernels removed
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat, set aside. Using a silicone baking mat makes it much easier to stir the popcorn.
- Place the sugar, butter, and honey in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Continue to boil without stirring for 5 minutes, or until candy thermometer reads 235 degrees for chewier popcorn to 250 degreesF for a harder bite.
- Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda and lemon oil flavoring. The mixture will bubble up!
- Place popcorn in a very large bowl, and pour the mixture over. Stir until completely coated.
- Spread popcorn mixture out evenly on a prepared baking sheet. Place in a preheated 200 degree oven for one hour, carefully stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes. Be careful, it is a really sticky, and HOT! Break apart into pieces and serve.