This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
This Captain and Coke recipe is a delicious and refreshing two-ingredient cocktail that is perfect to serve any time of year. Learn to make this and other variations of the popular rum and coke drink to serve at your next party!
Looking for more rum drinks? Check out the Tropical Rum Drinks page!
Aye mateys, rather than creating a basic rum & coke, I decided to create this drink in honor of my favorite pirate. I can just picture Captain Jack Sparrow stumbling around in the sand with this simple cocktail in his hand, can’t you?
What you will need:
- Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum is the preferred rum for this drink, but I am not the rum police and I am sure any other good quality rum will work as well.
- Coca-Cola is the preferred choice for cola because of it’s flavor profile. Coke has an almost spicy undertone that is missing in Pepsi. More on this later.
- A Lime Wedge is squeezed into the drink then dropped in as a garnish.
- Ice Cubes cool down the cocktail and fill up the rest of the glass.
- You will also need highball glasses or Collins glasses and a jigger for measuring.
Be sure to check out the detailed printable recipe card below
How to make a Captain and Coke
A traditional Captain and Coke is made with a ratio of 1 part spiced rum to 2.5 parts cola. Two ounces of rum and 5 ounces of cola will fit nicely into a 12-ounce highball glass with lots of ice.
Add ice cubes to a highball glass and pour in the spiced rum.
Top off with cola and add more ice cubes if needed.
Squeeze a lime wedge over the top of the drink and then drop it into the cocktail.
Use a drink stirrer/straw to gently combine the ingredients and serve immediately.
Yes you can, and there are several different options to choose from. Original Diet Coke is made with aspartame, an artificial sweetener. In 2005, Coca-Cola Zero made with Splenda was introduced and designed to taste more like the original.
Zevia Cola is made with stevia, a natural sweetener, but it is clear so your drink will be much lighter!
Yes, there are many different options for colas to suit everyones tastes. Mexican Coca-Cola is made with sugar cane, as is rum, and tastes completely different than the regular Coca-Cola sold with high-fructose corn syrup.
Pepsi is an obvious choice, and there are also craft soda companies that make small batch colas locally as well as nationwide.
If spiced rum is not your thing, substitute dark rum, which is technically a Cuba Libre, or silver rum for a traditional rum & coke.
Tools used to create this drink
You can see the rest of my favorite kitchen tools and gadgets here in my Amazon Affiliate Page. I earn a small commission when you purchase through my links, at no cost to you, so I can keep bringing you more delicious recipes!
Additional two-ingredient cocktails
- Dark n Stormy – dark rum and ginger beer.
- Texas Ranch Water – tequila and Topo Chico mineral water.
- Paloma Cocktail – grapefruit soda and tequila.
- Classic Gin and Tonic
- Jameson & Ginger – Irish whiskey and ginger ale.
- Blue Lemonade – lemonade and blue vodka.
- Chambord Royale – raspberry liqueur and prosecco.
- Berry Wine Smoothie – frozen berries and wine in a blender!
If you love this recipe, please rate it five stars and help me share on facebook and to help other readers in our community!
Captain and Coke
- 2 ounces Captain Morgans Spiced Rum
- 5 ounces Coca-Cola
- ice cubes
- 1 lime wedge
- Add ice cubes to a highball glass and pour in the spiced rum. If using a flavored syrup, add with the ice.
- Top off with cola, wait for the bubbles to settle and add more ice cubes if needed.
- Squeeze a lime wedge over the top of the drink and then drop it into the cocktail. Use a drink stirrer/straw to gently combine the ingredients and serve immediately.
- Feel free to substitute your favorite rum, light or dark.
- Change things up by using a flavored cola.
- Substitute Diet Coke or Coke Zero if you prefer.