Who is ready for a big, comforting bowl of Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili after the long and crazy election season? It is actually delicious no matter what season it is, but I thought it would be extra special today. It doesn’t matter if your candidate won or lost, we have been through the ringer over the past 18 months and it’s time to sit back, take a deep breath…..
and start planning for the holidays!!! This Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili is so easy to prepare, and healthy as well. It is loaded with flavor, but easy on the taste buds…aka not too spicy! 😉
It really is as simple as placing chicken breasts in slow cooker. Add the chicken stock, onion, beans, chiles, garlic, cumin, and cayenne. Stir to combine…..
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 4 hours, until chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken and place on a large plate or platter. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker…..
Add the cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper…..
Serve with Greek yogurt, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, avocado slices, or any of your favorite toppings…..
- I have seen recipes that puree part of the beans to make a thicker, creamier chili. That is completely up to you.
- You can also add the sour cream/Greek yogurt to the whole batch to make it creamier if that is what you are going for.
- To kick up the heat add a fresh jalapeno or two with the onions and garlic, maybe even a serrano pepper. 😉
In the end I chose to go with a simple, straightforward, Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili with minimal fuss and lots of flavor! Yes, it does have more of a soup consistency and that totally works for me.
If you prefer a more traditional chili, I have those too:
and here is the Cornbread with honey butter that I was too lazy to make. 😉
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||3 hours|
|Total time||3 hours, 15 minutes|
|Meal type||Main Course|
- 1 1/4 Pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 Cups chicken stock
- 2) 15 ounce cans white beans (Cannellini or Great Northern)
- 14.5 ounce can sweet corn
- 8 Ounce can fire-roasted diced green chilies
- 4 Large cloves fresh garlic (minced)
- 1 Medium sized yellow onion (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1/2 a lime)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
|Place chicken breasts in slow cooker. Add the chicken stock, onion, beans, chiles, garlic, cumin, and cayenne. Stir to combine.|
|Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 2 to 4 hours, until chicken is cooked through.|
|Remove chicken and place on a large plate or platter. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker.|
|Add the cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.|
|Serve with Greek yogurt, shredded Monterey Jack cheese, avocado slices, or any of your favorite toppings.|
This recipe will be partying at these link parties!