This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. For more information, please visit my disclosure page.
As you have probably figured out from the title, I have found another challenge.....the GYCO "Get Your Chef On" Challenge!! This month's ingredient is Shrimp... I'm sure you figured that out from the title as well. 😉 What you don't know yet, is how crazy delicious this Shrimp Pesto is!!
I was so excited when I saw that the ingredient was shrimp, I love shrimp! I cook with shrimp all of the time, and then it hit me. I have already posted all of my favorite shrimp recipes.....oughto! There were two different recipes that I had been working on, and I finally settled on this one.....Shrimp Pesto.
I made a dish very similar to this one many, many years ago...like 23 years ago, right after I first got married. That version was loaded with butter, so that was the first thing to go. I wanted to keep it light, and fresh, and it worked. You can serve the shrimp with pasta, or steamed rice. In a lot of ways this dish is very similar to a stir-fry, but has Italian flavors.
How to make Shrimp Pesto:
We start by preparing our basil pesto. You could use jarred pesto if you prefer. They usually add milk to prepared pesto, so I have to make my own. Place the basil, garlic, pine nuts, and Parmesan in the bowl of your food processor.....
Pulse to combine the ingredients, scraping down the sides as necessary. Slowly stream the olive oil into the pesto while it is running.....
Add salt and pepper to taste, and set aside. Next we cook our carrots and onions.....
Then add the zucchini, mushrooms, and bell pepper.....
Remove the cooked vegetables, and heat the pesto and cook the shrimp.....
Return the vegetables to the pan and stir to coat with sauce.....
The vegetables are cooked until tender, but still crisp. No mushy vegetables here! Start to finish...30 minutes!! If you like a little zing, add some crushed red pepper flakes. 🙂
More delicious pesto based recipes:
Kale Pesto Mac & Cheese - you can substitute basil pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves packed
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 Large cloves fresh garlic minced
- sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Large carrots cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 Small yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 Small zucchini cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 8 Ounces sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 Small red bell pepper seeded and sliced lengthwise
- 1 Pound medium-sized raw shrimp peeled and deveined
- 8 Ounces linguine or spaghetti cooked and drained
- Place basil, Parmesan, pine nuts, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse a few times. Slowly add the olive oil in a constant stream while processing. Stop and scrape down sides as necessary. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 more Tablespoons of oil to the skillet, and add the zucchini, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until the carrots are almost tender.
- Remove vegetables from the skillet and keep warm.
- Add 2 Tablespoons oil to skillet, stir in basil pesto sauce. Add the shrimp and cook until they turn pink, 3 - 4 minutes.
- Return the vegetables to the skillet and stir until covered with sauce.
- Serve over cooked pasta or steamed rice.